We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Hi, I am in the early planning stages of a 7-night trip to Ireland. Nothing has been booked yet, and I wanted to get some ideas about my itinerary for a trip in late August-early September:

Day 1: Flight from US to Dublin

Day 2: Arrive Early AM to Dublin; sightsee

Day 3: Dublin

Day 4: Leave Dublin, drive to Killarney, bum around the town, maybe go to Killarney National Park

Day 5: Ring of Kerry and Dingle (if time)

Day 6: Drive to Galway, bum around town

Day 7: Galway and Cliffs of Moher or Burren National Park

Day 8: Flight out of Shannon

I am sure I am missing a ton of sites by not stopping by Cork or Kilkenny...maybe we can hit them up on the way to Killarney?

Note, we are both in our 30's, no kids and enjoy city life, as well as quiet country-side. We enjoy going to see sites, but do not necessarily NEED to see anything...more go with the flow. We also enjoy eating good meals and drinking at casual locations (no clubs).

We are comfortable driving on the left-hand side of the road.

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Let me revise:

Day 5: Ring of Kerry, overnight in Killarney

Day 6: Drive to Dingle, then continue on the Cliffs of Moher or Burren National Park, overnight in Galway

Day 7: Galway

Day 78: Flight out of Shannon

Just re-looked on a map and this makes more sense.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Here's the itinerary I put together for our trip, upcoming in 2 weeks! We have 8 nights:

Sept. 28 arrive 8 a.m. Dublin, rent car from Easy Tour/Hertz, head to Kilkenny

Walk around Kilkenny, see what we can see before jet lag crashes us. Stay at Fanad House.

(Note to future travelers: it was nearly impossible to find a room in Kilkenny on this Saturday night when I started looking last week. Book far in advance if you want more choices.)

Sept 29: Rock of Cashel (how do we get there from Kilkenny?) and Cahir. On to Killarney. Spend two nights at Friar Glen B&B, a splurge for us but seems to be well worth it.

Sept 30: Tour Muckross, hike the Gap, etc.

Oct. 1: Head to Dingle via ROK. We might use Rick Steve's book along the way, Sorry! Stay 2 nights at Bambury B&B.

Oct. 2: Slea Head drive, etc.

Oct 3: Head north to Cliffs, etc. Stay in Kinvara at Fallon's (decided to pass on the overnight in Doolin). Go to Friday morning market in Kinvara and then head to Galway.

Oct 4: Galway, staying at Prague House. Seems to be a great location and price is only 80 euro for a triple! Is there a drive just outside of Galway we might enjoy that's a shorter version of the whole Connemara trip?

Oct 5: Head Dublin, turn in car at airport, bus into the city for the afternoon and evening. Return to the airport to a hotel (need to book this one yet!)

Oct. 6, fly back to Chicago, 10 a.m. flight, arrive at airport by 7.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

I'm not the expert on Killarney or Ring of Kerry but your 8 day/7 night looks fine to me from the view of not doing too much and spending all your time in the car.

I like to bum around towns too - soak in the atmosphere, have a drink of whatever the locals are drinking, look at the architecture [industrial, civic and religious] and listen to accents.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Nice itinerary. You'll be in Dingle just ahead of the big Food festival. Bambury's is a lovely house

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

I did a similar trip last month and have some comments. First the ROK takes a good part of a whole day unless you don't stop anywhere and you need to stop to really enjoy the journey. Not sure you will be able to do the ROK and Dingle in one day. Second i did the Killarney to Galway trip and I would suggest stopping at the cliffs or the Burren on the way. here is a trip planning link http://www.theaa.ie/routes/ just add Killarney to Galway and add the cliffs or the Burren as a via. this way you will have more time in Galway and not end up backtracking. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

If you are traveling with Aer Lingus change the itinerary to go with different airlines. They charge for alcohol. This is the first international airline charges for alcoholic beverages. They are also so short in everything, blankets, regular beverages, coffee & tea, etc. I understand they are under a strict budget since the whole country is in deep recession, but the I can't take the rudeness & careless of the flight attendants. They pass by our seats so fast so we can't ask them for anything! I asked for another cup of coffee & was told: "we actually only serve once", no apology, nothing. We asked the cabin crew supervisor for blanket since it's so cold in the cabin (Patrick Dumfy) & he goes: "well, if you didn't find one on your seat when you first boarded the plane, then there's none left!". He didn't even bother to look for one & later on we saw another flight attendant bringing some blankets to the seats behind us! We were among the first people to board & there were literally very few blankets scattered on different seats & that's all. As I said the shortage & low budget is one thing, but the bad service is another! I won't fly them again. It was our first & last time for sure!!!!

I tried to write this on their survey on board, but when I clicked on it it shows the service is blocked! Guess they don't want to hear anything from customers.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 14:37
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

The Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula in one day is absolutely possible if you mean a 24 hour day, are sleeplessly shooting topographical vistas utilizing high speed and night film ("film": what's that?) from a relentlessly moving vehicle's window. Also. don't stop for food, drink, sites or relief of any kind and you'll do fine. Oh, be sure you have a full tank and carry two or three large petrol containers for a more efficient re-fill.

I'd kill Galway staying in the Dingle area for another day as two to three is more the somewhat more relaxed norm and the whole 29th agenda with such narrow time parameters as well. You need to look at sites like distancesfrom.com adding 20% to time suggested to get a better idea of what's involved in all these theoretical fly around all the bases options.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

Hmm am sure I have read lots of praise on the forum from Aer Lingus transatlantic travellers.

Sorry that 2world didn't enjoy it, but it's not easy to change schedules once you have booked, don't let this bad report put you off!

The others are right in that you can't do the whole of the ROK and Dingle in a day, but that's not how I read your post - you seem to be saying you'll do part of the ROK on the way to Dingle and then spend a whole day on the Dingle peninsula.

Dingle has some lovely coastal drives, I think your itinerary looks fine.

9. Re: 8 Day, 7 Night Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:17