We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help in planning our itinerary!

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help in planning our itinerary!

My hubby and I have just decided to go to Ireland next month - probably around the middle of October. We are new empty nesters and thought this would be a great place visit. A quick bit of info - we are early risers, love to walk/hike, enjoy scenery and historical places of interest. This trip will be a 'taste' for us - probably around 8-9 days. I know from reading tour books and stalking the forum that this really isn't enough time. My thought is a little time in Ireland is better than no time at all:)

We are going to rent a car & I will probably book our hotels on hotwire. One exception is we would like to stay in a castle. Our journey will start and end in Dublin. This is what I have so far-

Two nights in Dublin - Drive to Avoca (shopping?) and Kilkenny (castle). Spend a night in Cork. (Blarney stone, general sightseeing) Drive to Desmond Castle (museum of wine?) Spend the night in Killarney (state park, Ring of Kerry, etc.) Drive to Dingle, spend a night or two in Doolin? Visit the cliffs and Aran Islands (depending on the weather)

We have a extra few nights to plan Should we stay an additional night in any of these places?

I welcome any suggestions, critiques, etc.

Thank you in advance!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

Here are my initial thoughts:

Days 1 - 2 Two nights in Dublin -

Day 3 Drive to Avoca (shopping?) and Kilkenny (castle).

Day 4 Spend a night in Cork. (Blarney stone, general sightseeing)

Day 5 Drive to Desmond Castle - Kinsale (museum of wine?)

Day 6 Spend the night in Killarney (state park, Ring of Kerry, etc.)

Day 7 Drive to Dingle,

Day 8 and 9 spend a night or two in Doolin? Visit the cliffs and Aran Islands (depending on the weather)

Day 10 Dublin

As you can see, with your current wish list you have already clocked up 10 days. Do you have that many days available to you?

It's a very busy schedule. In particular days 3,4,6 and 7 will be very busy for you. Lots of time getting to places with little time to relax and enjoy them.

You could get an extra half day in Killarney, by visiting Desmond Castle on your journey to Killarney rather than staying in Kinsale. Killarney town and it's immediate sights is worth a very minimum of 2 days/nights. The ROK alone takes the bones of a full day (8 hours has been reported to drive around it with stops)

Here is my above list again with some tweaks:

Days 1 - 2 Two nights in Dublin -

Day 3 Spend a night in Cork. (Blarney stone, general sightseeing)

Day 4 Drive to Desmond Castle - Kinsale (museum of wine?) and continue to Killarney

Day 5 Spend two nights in Killarney (National park, Ring of Kerry,)

Day 6 Drive to Dingle, (explore Dingle town and drive the Slea head drive for great views without having to drive the full Peninsula)

Day 7 and 8 spend a night or two in Doolin? Visit the cliffs and Aran Islands (depending on the weather)

Day 9 Dublin

If you need to pare off one more day from that Itinerary than you could potentially do both Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands in one day, but it would be a whistle stop tour.

The first thing you need to do now is set your number of days. 1 day more or less on a short trip makes a big difference.

Incline Village...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

Thank you so much. Since I do not have a lot of time to plan this, I really appreciate the feedback. I did not realize the ROK takes 8 hours - I think we need to save that for a future trip. Do you recommend staying in Doolin or another town? If the Aran Islands do not work out do to weather, what do you recommend as an alternative?

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

I'm not sure if I've missed something, but have you considered two airports, Shannon for departure from Ireland. Bryno has given you some excellent options. If the weather is not accommodating there's so much to do around the Dingle Peninsula you'll have no problem. I'd consider a second night for the Ring of Kerry over a trip toAvoca. There are Avoca Mills outlets in Ireland, one being in Dublin itself.

As pretty as the Vale of Avoca and little village are, they can't compare to the variety and wonders of the ROK and you'd have the added advantage of two nights stay in one environment with Killarney National Park. If your mind is set for that excursion, you might consider a tie in with the beauty of nearby GlendaloughLaragh as a base.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 15:57
Incline Village...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

Thank you. Cost wise it seems better to fly in and out of Dublin. I will consider passing on Avoca. Do you recommend any castle stays in the towns we will be visiting?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

There are branches of Avoca - one is in Suffolk St in the city center.

If you like to hike have a look at Glendalough for its monastic site and www.walkingroutes.ie/1254-Spink-Loop.html

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

Not to push this too hard, but there are currently excellent shoulder season deals (e.g. Aer Lingus where we got one for ourselves) which involve nominally little money for the two airports and make for much easier circumstances in terms of getting around. Be sure you weigh it all thoroughly before finalizing. I'm not much into castles (or even larger hotels for that matter).

Edited: 15 September 2013, 16:40
7. Re: Please help in planning our itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20