We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day driving trip

Ghent, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
3 day driving trip

Hi everybody,

My dad and I have 3 days off next week and planning on visiting Ireland for 3 days. We plan on renting a car to explore the south or the west of Ireland. Could anyone help us out and give us some ideas in terms of iteneraries. One thing to note is that we both like the more remote places and pretty sights.

Kind regards,

Lucas

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day driving trip

Give us a clue... where are you flying to?

How confident are you driving on the left in a right hand drive car with the gear stick in the 'wrong' hand?

Will your flight times allow 3 full days or is the middle day the only full day you will have?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day driving trip

The questions itsmeagain2 asks are important, but I can say that even if the 3 days are all full days it's not enough time. :)

Here are some general tips - which is about the best I can offer without knowing more specific information.

If you're coming in to the east coast, you might want to explore Wicklow - and there's a waterfall on Powerscourt Estate that is beautiful. Glendalough is in that area as are several sites related to Brigid. Also, try to not miss the Rock of Cashel.

If you're coming in to the west coast, explore the mountains of Connemara - or even around Lenane. You could likely also make it to the Rock of Cashel if you're coming in to the west.

If you're coming in to the south, the best option in my recollection would be the National Park in Killarney. There is a lot to see in that area, and it can be pretty rural (apart from Killarney itself).

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day driving trip

Aer Lingus has two flights per week into Cork from Brussels. If that is an option, then you could hire a car and explore West Cork or Kerry

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day driving trip

Soonas' suggestion is a good one, its no use flying into Dublin if you only have three days and want to see the West coast.

Ghent, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day driving trip

We are flying in late in the evening in Dublin and are the following day going to Kilkenny first. From there our trip will start. The return flight is thursday (again late in the evening), going back to Brussels.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day driving trip

Based on going to Kilkenny first, I'd suggest going on down to Waterford the next day - there are a few OPW historic sites in the area, and New Ross isn't too far, so you could easily visit the Dunbrody on the same day.

If either of you have an 'artistic' side, be sure to visit the House of Waterford Crystal if you're in Waterford. There's a short (free) guided tour that's very interesting.

For the next day, I'd suggest going across the countryside on N24 through Clonmel (maybe visit St Patrick's Well) until you get to the M8 and then take that up to Cashel and visit the Rock of Cashel. From there, you can take the M8 back into Dublin.

This will keep you primarily on N and M roads, which are better maintained, and allows you to hit several sites with the freedom to add or skip sites as you wish...which is going to be important if you only have 3 days.

7. Re: 3 day driving trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:16