We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

We are traveling late fall/early winter (into early November) with most of our time in the southwest (from Cork to Dingle). Anticipating cold and rainy weather, how do we best pack for our 2 year old? She is independent and wants to walk by herself, but she still trips and falls a lot. Her current rain boots are just the basic type that are not very form-fitting and she trips in them easily. It isn't like we will have her intentionally out in heavy rains, but after a rain I would like to allow her to walk in the grass/pavement/ wherever we are. We want to pack light but it is hard to just go to the zoo in our own city without a huge packed diaper bag. I do not want to bring too much footwear for a 2 year old. I am thinking one pair of shoes and one pair of boots. Does anyone have experience with a particular brand of shoe or boot that is great for walking in cold, wet weather? I know all-around hiking boots are good but I have never seen them for a 2 year old. Please share your experiences from your trips with kids, and any other ideas too. A rain cover for the stroller perhaps?

thank you!

Edited: 16 September 2013, 08:17
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

By rain boots, I assume you mean what we call wellington boots or wellies.

My observation of my own children when small, and small children generally, is that they love to stand in puddles and mud... preferably both. My son could find water to in a dessert so he could get wet and muddy!

We generally travelled with a pair of wellies and a pair of good properly fitting shoes... even if only going out for the day. They aren't huge for a two year old and don't weigh much or take up much space and we were then covered no matter what happened.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

good thick socks and wellies are the way to go!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

Hi Sharon,

I know what you mean about packing everything but the kitchen sink, even just for a Sunday outing......we have twins and although they're a bit older now, we always had to bring a bag with us everywhere when they were younger!

I would say she will spend a lot of time in her Wellies - other than that a nice pair of leather boots should do the trick. Shoes might be a bit open and her feet could get wet although it would be no harm to bring a spare pair anyway. Clarks do well fitted shoes for children I'm not sure if you have a store that stocks them near you, but they are widely available in Ireland. If you don't have a good choice near you, you could wait until you get to Ireland, and pick up some shoes here for her - they could also be her souvenirs of her trip. There are generally some really really cute Wellies for younger kids available in all of the shops from now until after Christmas. You can even get some great little sets with matching Wellies, raincoats and umbrellas. Have a look in Dunnes, Penny's, Heatons and Avoca when you get here.

http://www.clarks.ie/products/kids/girls

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

What would you have her wearing if the same conditions were in your back garden..I seem to remember winter in Chicago 82 was a whole lot worse than Ireland has ever been.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

wellies can be very cold , but early November should be reasonably mild. little chance of frost. I think that you will be ok, but maybe if you can get an insulated insole it would keep her feet warmer. and they will take up no space in your case!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

There are some lovely special Wellies socks that you can get most places nowadays....toasty toes, happy toddler!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

Thanks all. Funny about Chicago comment. We are in Wisconsin about 3 hours north of Chicago. Brrrr!

About what she would wear in our own yard. That's actually a tough one! We have rain boots ( not Wellies but Western Chief, a common brand here) but they were too big the last time we tried. Certainly not suitable even for a walk around the block due to how they fit her feet. Maybe she has grown into them better now. I will try. I'm hoping to find something very easy to walk in and she has such small feet. My friend has a one yr old in the same size as my 2.5 yr old.

So as far as what she would wear here, I don't know yet. For the upcoming autumn season, it is dry, so just her plain shoes. Then it is winter boots after that. I checked some stores here and they only stock snow boots now.

Also are the stores you mentioned easy to find? We will be in the center of Dublin the first two days, then 7 days near Cork and 2 in Dingle. Obviously we would need them right away if we shop there.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

Yes very easy to find, you will have no problem picking up suitable shoes here if you don't manage to find them before you leave.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

I have been to Chicago Twice and never been let loose outside the plants I was sent to, January 82 was memorable, 2 weeks doing next to nothing because of the weather. bit of a change because the summer a year or so earlier was Hot!!

Anyway.. maybe worth a look dunnesstores.com/ribbon-lace-boot/… wanted some for the grandaughter a couple of weeks ago but couldn't get her size in Galway and too long to order online for pickup.

also dunnesstores.com/fur-lined-eva-wellie/…

Edited: 16 September 2013, 17:27
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toddler? Please advise. Shoes? Boots?

Although our trips have been in the summer, we've had the same concern because an Ireland summer is colder than an Arizona winter. We opted to have our daughter wear her usual (leather) shoes and try to make them as water-resistant as possible. As I recall, we used the 3M spray product...but I know there are several and even some newer products that claim to make items waterproof.

In addition to the water-resistant shoes, we took the rain fly for the ergo baby carrier and also carried an inexpensive clear poncho that one of the adults could use or we could throw over the stroller. We used everything.

By the way - I've learned that "raining" has a different meaning in Ireland than it does in Arizona.