We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland in May of 2014 and I'm looking for some help with our itinerary. Like most, we're starting way ambitious.. so I'm looking for help on what to cut.

We start in Dublin for three nights. We really want to explore/hike the Wicklow Mountain area/Glendalough, so one of those days will be spent doing that probably via day trip (we won't have a car til the 4th day), but we'll return to Dublin that evening. So it'll be:

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin early morning. Sight-seeing.

Day 2: Night in Dublin. Day trip to Wicklow if weather is decent or more sight-seeing.

Day 3: Night in Dublin. Which ever we didn't do the previous day.

Day 4: Leave Dublin and head towards___?___ for the night. On the drive down, we'd love to see the Rock of Cashel and yes, I know it's touristy.. but we want to see Blarney Castle grounds. We don't care about kissing the stone though. After that we'd check into a B&B in ___?____ and call it a night. I don't know if it's possible to tackle both of those in one day plus the driving. We'll have been three days sans car, so it's not being in the car I'm worried about, but timing.

Day 5: Leave ___?___ and head towards Killarney for two nights B&B. On the drive to Killarney/that day we'd like to Drive the ring of Kerry before stopping for the evening. Any other suggestions?

Day 6: Stay in Killarney (2nd night). Would it be possible to see Gap of Dunloe/any other suggestions in the morning? We were thinking it might be neat to do this sunset sea kayak at 6:30 in Dingle irishadventures.net/kayaking/activitiesseaka… -- has anyone done this? Worth it?

Day 7: Leave Killarney, head towards Galway for the night. On the drive to Galway see Cliffs of Moher. Arrive in Galway for the night.

Day 8: Afternoon flight out of Shannon

Flight to dublin and out of shannon is already book, so we can't change that. Just need to figure out if what's between those two points is possible.

Thanks for any and all help! :)

Edited: 17 September 2013, 05:06
Knocknarea
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Croagh Patrick
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

If I was doing the sea kayaking in Dingle at 6.30pm I would stay the night in the town and not hike back off to Killarney to start out again the next morning on the same route. Yes, the kayaking is worth doing.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 06:56
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

I'd stay in Kinsale after visiting Blarney Castle.

Wenonah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

If possible I would get car a day earlier.

Day1 & 2 Dublin.

Day3 : Drive through Wicklow and Glendalough and stay in Kilkenny.

Day 4: Stop at Rock and Blarney and stay in Killarney for 2 nights.

Day 5: Ring of Kerry ( this is a full day, it would be better to be in Killarney to start)

Day 6: Gap of Dunloe and Muckross and on to Dingle for kayaking. Night in Dingle.

Day 7: Drive to Galway with stop at Cliffs. ( I love Galway, but to get up there late afternoon only to leave next morning is a bit of a waste. I would probably choose Doolin or Ennis which would give you some time to expolre The Burren.

Have a good time !

:

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like we could accomplish Cashel and Blarney in one day before getting to Kinsale based on no one saying otherwise? That's great :) I also like the idea of staying in Dingle.. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.. probably because we got the kayaking idea well after I typed up the rough IT. So, good catch! Unfortunately, we already have the nights in Dublin booked, so I think we're going to be stuck there. Either way, I appreciate the help!

5. Re: Ireland in May - Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20