We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
282 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

Hi,

I was wondering if you needed to have an international driving permit to drive a rental car while in Ireland. I'm starting to get some things together for our trip in the coming weeks and came across one with other brochures and papers from a previous trip.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

In theory, I think it may be required. The official rule is that the only people who don't need one are visitors from EU countries and visitors from countries where mutual licence recognition has been established. According to the RSA website, that list of countries is currently - Australia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Iceland, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Norway, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, New Zealand, Taiwan).

In practice, I have never heard of this being an issue for visitors from the US. The main purpose of the international licence is to provide a translation of the original driving licence and clearly that is not going to be a problem for a US visitor.

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Isle of Man
Isle of Man
United Kingdom
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Norway
Norway
Europe
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
282 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

Thanks as with only a week or so to go I did not know if it was possible to get one!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

It might be best to wait to see what other US visitors have experienced. It's probably a bit early for most of them to be posting at the moment.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

Your US license is all you need

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,778 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

"Your US license is all you need"

What he said. :) No IDL needed.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
282 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

Thanks everyone, one more thing to check off the list!!

7. Re: International Driving Permit Needed to Drive in Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:19