We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

What route would you take for the most scenic/interesting places? Length of time is not an issue, although I know having enough daylight hours is. We'll be leaving after breakfast, and just planning on meandering back up to Dublin. Will stay in hotel near airport before flying out the next day, so getting in late in the evening to Dublin is fine.

Up the coast via Wexford? Around Cork and up through the midlands? From what I've read so far- Kilkenny, Cashel and Cahir are worth a look. Should we range further west? Again, all day in the car is fine, we're not in a hurry. Planning on stopping to eat and check out anything that looks interesting along the way. Thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

From the city or somewhere in the county?

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

We'll be in Tallow, Co. Waterford, so leaving from there to go in whatever direction is recommended. :-)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

Ok, from Tallow you should go on to Lismore , the little cathedral and castle gardens (castle itself not usually open to the public) Take the road over the bridge towards Dungarvan/Cappoquin and as you reach the far side of the bridge take the road almost in front of you known as the Vee. This will bring you towards Clonmel and you could then go to Cahir/Cashel (a small bit of back tracking, but worth it,

Take the motorway from Cashel to the turn for Urlingford and turn off here to go to Kilkenny. The road is not a motorway but quite driveable.

From Kilkenny you can either take the old road to Carlow (a good road) or the motorway.

I can add more places to see, but I think you'd have plenty to do above.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

I would hesitate to go back towards Cork, or range further west, but Cahir, Cashel, Kilkenny would be a nice route. You could take your time as far as Kilkenny then straight up the motorway to Dublin.

Or down to Dungarvan, along the coast to Tramore (very nice if narrow and winding road along the coast) on to Passage East ferry and over to Ballyhack, possibly take in Hook head and Wexford then through Enniscorthy and up through Wicklow. This route would be better in good weather though, if the day is at all doubtful do the Kilkenny trip.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

Some good advice there. And I too would try to include the Vee.

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

Thanks everyone! Doneraile or anyone else local- any particular suggestions in Waterford itself? Pubs, restaurants, neat things to check out?

Is Cork/Blarney reasonably close enough to Tallow for an afternoon side trip?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

The main point of interest in Waterford is the Viking triangle. The tag line is 'a thousand years of history in a thousand paces'. Its quite a small area but contains 3 museums - my favourite is the medieval museum, but there are lots of old city walls, towers, churches, a cathedral, etc in a relatively small, easily walkable space. The Waterford Crystal tour and showroom is in the same area.

There are two very good cafes, one in the Bishops Palace (also museum) and one across the road in the Waterford Crystal premises - yummy cakes! I am not an authority on Waterford pubs and restaurants I'm afraid!

You could call out to Dunmore East, a little fishing village not far from Waterford - if you are heading for Passage East and the ferry it is not far out of your way. On a nice day it is interesting to walk round the harbour.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

I like the Munster Bar for a drink when in Waterford and there is a Restaurant upstairs too althopugh I haven't tried it. http://www.themunsterbar.com/

Its just up the street from Reginalds Tower and next to the Theater.

9. Re: One day drive- Co. Waterford to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:18