We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

From the RTE website today;

Nine Irish restaurants have been awarded Michelin stars including two new recipients.

Kilkenny restaurants Campagne and Lady Helen at the Mount Juliet Hotel have both been awarded stars in the 2014 Michelin guide.

Patrick Guilbaud’s remains Ireland’s only two-star Michelin restaurant with Thornton’s at the Fitzwilliam Hotel, Chapter One, L’Ecrivain and bon appétit in Malahide also retaining their Michelin status in Dublin.

Outside the capital, House at the Cliff House Hotel in Waterford and Aniar in Galway also received Michelin stars.

Under the criteria three stars means exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey; two are for excellent cooking, worth a detour; one denotes a very good restaurant in its category.

Editor of the Michelin Guide Great Britain & Ireland 2014, Rebecca Burr said: “In the last year we’ve seen the rise of relaxed counter dining but also the opening of some big brasseries.

"Dining is becoming a less structured, less formal affair and opening times and menus are more flexible to reflect the way we live our lives."

11 recipients of ‘Bib Gourmands’

Michelin also awards ‘Bib Gourmands’ indicating a restaurant has good cuisine at a reasonable price.

There are 11 Irish recipients in the 2014 guide: Courthouse, Co Monaghan, Deasy’s, Co Cork, Sha Roe Bistro, Co Carlow, Chart House, Co Kerry, Aldridge Lodge, Co Wexford, Fishy Fishy Cafe, Co Cork and Wild Honey Inn, Co Clare.

In Dublin, ‘Bib Gourmands’ were awarded to Pichet, Pig’s Ear, Downstairs and Brasserie at bon appétit.

There are four three star restaurants in the new guide, 21 two star establishments and 142 with one star.

Michelin upgraded two restaurants to two-star status in the 2014 guide: Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and the Greenhouse, both in London.

Michelin & Cie, Europe’s largest tiremaker, produced its first guide in 1900. It was free of charge until 1920 and was intended for chauffeurs.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Should I mention that the restaurant that we're not allowed to mention for fear of the thread being obliterated into smithereens by food processor has lost it's star???

I hope that's not too vague!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Careful now Lolly, you wouldn't want to end up under lock and key.

I wonder why it lost its star? Of course, its head chef left didn't he, to start up that new place at the Clarence. Its still on my 'to-try' list anyhow.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

hardly a travel advice subject! whilst saying that, I have been to one of these several times and found the food etc to be paltry and vastly overrated.

ps. in one of these restaurants you could get your head chopped off, if you dared complain!

Edited: 26 September 2013, 16:11
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Lolly you unlocked a memory there!!

Isn't it wonderful to see such an abundance of fine dining in our small country, but then again with talented chefs and fabulous raw ingredients perhaps its not so surprising.

Congrats to all the recipients.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Nakagloi, I think that the availability and location of good restaurants is very much a travel advice subject. I have to say I'm often dismayed at the amount of visitors who just want to eat in pubs all the time, when there are so many fab restaurants to choose from. Pub grub is all very well, but it's usually the same old menu time and time again.

Glad that Pichet retained its Bib Gourmand, it's my favourite restaurant in Dublin at the moment.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Nakagoli there are always heaps of threads looking for restaurant advice?!?!

Just to add, you wont get your head chopped off in any of the Michelin Star / Bib places but perhaps in the one which Andarma refers to in post #2! I have been ... but that's another thread (or not!)! :)

I love the range of restaurants and the diversity of food on offer in the country. I'm with you on this one Andarma, I'd love people to try more than pub grub, it's great but there's a whole heap more on offer.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

I guess that you are not a reader of sunday independent?

but I have not come across anyone asking where they can find a restaurant with a Michelin star. visitors are usually looking for restaurants that provide good substantial meals, and these rarely look for or receive stars.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

I have eaten in three of the Michelin starred places mentioned, and for the life of me cannot understand why Neven Maguire's MacNean House is not on the list. Maybe he doesn't want one (he certainly doesn't need one)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

No I don't often read the Sunday Independent, why?

I've come across a number of requests recently for restaurants in the more expensive range but yes you're right, most are for value for money places.

Anyhow... well done to all the winners, haven't eaten in them all but the ones I have have been fantastic. I'm loving Dublin and Ireland's food scene at the minute! Shame not to see McNean House in the list, The Tannery in Dungarvan is another omission.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Michelin Stars & Bibs awarded.

Similarly I can't understand why The Tannery in Dungarvan doesn't have one. But anyone who has seen the history if the relationship between Ballymaloe and Michelin will understand why some restaurants aren't interested.