We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Just got back from a brilliant 2 week driving tour of Ireland and wanted to offer my experience with Thrify.

Researching this trip I found out that you can wave the CDW if you have a World Mastercard (which I do have). I reserved my car only to find out when we went to pick up the car that the World Mastercard coverage only covered cars up to $50,000 and we had decided upon a luxury car. A BMW 5 series. This meant I had to pay the CDW.

We were given the options and chose the full coverage which covers everything, This coverage isn't cheap but I would rather be safe than sorry.

The BMW 5 was a brilliant car and we were glad we had it. A little wide for a few roads, but overall very easy to drive.

I particularly liked the sensors on all of the bumpers that alerted me to times when I was backing in to a low wall or cutting a corner too sharply.

The thing that totally paid off was when we were heading into Dublin to return the car. We had driven 1100 miles without incident, but fate decreed that we would hit a bone jarring pothole about 40 miles outside of town. It wasn't long before an indicator light came on to tell us that we had lost pressure in one of the tires. I pulled over and sure enough, there was a gash in the left front tire and it was flat.

I looked in the trunk and there was no spare and no jack. I called Thrifty and they told me that the car was equipped with drive run tires and that all I needed to do was find a service station and get the tire replaced and that they would reimburse me for the cost of the tire.

The run flat tires allowed me to drive another 20 or so miles to Healys Tyres and Car Service in Naas Kildare and $300 later I was back in business and on my way to return the car.

By the time I was back in the US my credit card and been refunded the cost of the tire.

I am very happy with the whole experience, though I would rather not have had flat. But it's a lesson learned for me.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 16:36
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Nice to read a (mostly) positive car rental experience - and I've learned something new about "drive run tires" :-)

We've experienced a couple of flat tires in Ireland over the years - both occasions with our own car; we found a local garage both times and it was fixed in no time and didn't cost a fortune either. Recommendation for those who may experience a "flat" : it's usually easier/cheaper to get it fixed or replaced at a local garage rather than get the rental company involved. If they have to organise a "call out" it will cost Alot more!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,076 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

congratulations! that must be the first favourable post about thrifty. I normally defend rental companies against bad posts that are usually the result of renters not reading or understanding the terms of renting. but I hae found it very difficult to defend thrifty. you were lucky that you had paid for and taken the full cover. but watch your cc account. it is normal that some sort of small excess is applied even with scdw, so I am rather surprised when you say that you have been refunded in full.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Thrifty was nothing but professional and courteous to me. No hidden fees or surprise charges. Most of the bad reviews I have read have been due to people not fully reading and understanding the agreement.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Good to know, baldheretic. I must add that I rent a car in Ireland several times a year and have been doing so for 15+ years. I've never experienced bad service or unexpected "additions" to the bill. Maybe I've been lucky - or maybe like you, I read the terms and conditions, etc and understand what's included in the rate!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

wow, lucky for you with the tire...most rental insurance doesn't cover tires or glass.....well, you can buy it extra but many don't know that....so glad you had a good experience and as sarnia points out, reading the terms and conditions helps to save costly surprises at pick up and return....

London
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

Hello, everyone.

can somebody, please, quickly run me through the hidden small font charges that usually accompany a car rental process (I have never rented a car before, but it sounds like in Ireland a car is almost essential to get to all the wonders of natural beauty). I will be flying into Ireland from Russia - will my Russian driver's license be sufficient to rent a car? On the websites it looks like I can rent a car from 20 euros a day, which looks a bit suspiciously cheap to me...I wonder if there are any additional and mandatory charges on top of that base price... Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
18,076 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

if you have gone through an agent, you will see what is provided. this usually includes insurance but with an excess. in Ireland the excess is usually around 2000€ and you have to provide a cc with this amount available. a block is put on the card for this amount, and if no damage, the block will be removed. you can purchase cover for the excess when collecting the car, usually around 10 per day. you may also be asked to leave a deposit for fuel, but the car will be provided with a full tank, and as long as you return with a full tank, you will not be charged. but remember, make sure to read the terms and conditions.

I think that your driving licence would not be acceptable as it would not be in English, so you will need to have an international licence

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

If you find a website offering a car for €20 per day then it is not including all of the charges. Compare it with the car hire website.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
240 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

baldheretic,

I would have loved the ("I particularly liked the sensors on all of the bumpers that alerted me to times when I was backing in to a low wall or cutting a corner too sharply.") sensors when I backed into a Barbed Wire Fence in County Mayo, thank goodness for Super CDW.

10. Re: My experience renting a car in Ireland (Thrifty)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:17