We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We will soon be on our way....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
We will soon be on our way....

Firstly, I'd like to send a huge thank you and shoutout to all the DE's and other travellers who have answered my questions over the last few weeks...your help and information has been invaluable and I'm sure will help to make our trip an awesome one. The information provided in these forums is simply amazing and invaluable....I've combed through numerous questions and reviews from other travellers over the previous months, and have picked up many tips and information that would otherwise be unknown to us. It really does pay to spend the time and research the places you want to visit...and then to have some local knowledge thrown in is just a huge added bonus. SO THANK YOU to all of you for the time and effort you put into these forums :)

After years of dreaming, and months of planning, we will be flying out of Sydney in a few hours time, headed to Dublin for a 4 week trip of a lifetime. We thought that by doing 4 weeks, that we'd cover just about everything that we wanted to see....but after researching and combing through these forums, we've realised that although we will get to see a fair chunk, that Ireland has so much beauty and history, that 4 weeks will be just like the blink of an eye....so I guess that means that more than likely, we will have to come back again one day!

So anyways....here is a brief outline of our itinerary. Most places we will be staying 3 nights and using as a base to explore the area....

Dublin x 3 nights

Glendalough x 1 night

Kilkenny x 2 nights

Kinsale x 3 nights

Killarney x 3 nights

Doolin x 3 nights

Ashford Castle Cong x 2 nights

Enniskillen x 2 nights

Londonderry x 3 nights

Carnlough x 1 night

Bangor x 2 nights

Dundalk x 1 night

Trim x 1 night

Depart Dublin

Thanks again for all the invaluable information these forums provide :)

Edited: 27 September 2013, 00:55
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: We will soon be on our way....

With three nights, you'll soak up the atmosphere of Kinsale.

Come and enjoy.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We will soon be on our way....

We leave tomorrow! Only 8 nights for us, I'm jealous of the itinerary above.

The Simpsons are in Ireland in tonight's episode, how odd is that.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We will soon be on our way....

Interesting northern section. If you get the weather, I love the Enniskillen and Lakelands area. Derry for 3 nights seems a lot - but there's quite a lot in the city, it's city of culture and I'm guessing you'll be using it as a base to explore Donegal also:)

It's an interesting choice to go for Bangor over Belfast. Please don't miss Belfast -it's a great wee city. I'll very much look forward to your trip report!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We will soon be on our way....

We chose Bangor as that is where my dad is from...and yes, using most places as a base to explore the surrounding areas.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We will soon be on our way....

One thing that I have noticed on TA this year, is that visitors from Aus/NZ are more likely to travel north than those visiting Ireland from the U.S and most of them seem to have ancestral roots set in the northern counties incl. Cavan, Donegal & Monaghan.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We will soon be on our way....

Ah - Linda that explains Bangor. It was actually voted the most popular place to live in Northern Ireland a couple of years ago. Don't miss the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum at nearby Cultra - check out the little sweet shop with sweets as your father would have bought! (actually as even I remember as a child and I'm not that old).

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We will soon be on our way....

I too have many great memories of the geographical north and think you have an excellent well thought out itinerary as well. Best wishes for a great time enjoying the fruits of your impressive labor!.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We will soon be on our way....

While in Enniskillen, we enjoyed the Navar Forest Drive and Trails. The Magho Cliffs viewpoint was outstanding. We also loved the walking trail at nearby Killeshandra in Co. Cavan.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We will soon be on our way....

Having spent just over 30 nights so far in Ireland we haven't even touched south of a rough line drawn from Dublin to Ennis, there is just so much to see and experience! Our next trip (hopefully in May 2014) will be 17 nights heading to the northern parts again... it is absolutely lovely and I can't wait!

Have a wonderful trip and I am looking forward to hearing the details when you return (or maybe when you are on the ground...hint, hint)! :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: We will soon be on our way....

Hope you have a wonderful trip Linda.

Shucks, you could have brought me a suitcase full of TimTams ;-)