We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally, off we go

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Finally, off we go

Will be in Dublin by 8 a.m. tomorrow and then off to Kilkenny. I'll admit to being stressed about the weather forecasts next week (Monday looks rotten for KIllarney National Park) but otherwise, we're good to go. Thanks for everyone's help and patience with questions and numerous comments on my part!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally, off we go

Enjoy - We'll probably pass each other on the M50. I have to head over towrads the airport for a Football Tournament at 9am

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally, off we go

Oh yes, I hope we do pass each other because I need to hand off our Chicago sunshine to you. We're setting a weather record for number of clear days in a row.

We'll be looking forward to exploring your fine city at the end of the week.

Urbana, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally, off we go

Have a great trip! I am heading to Dubin next Wednesday from Illinois too. Hoping we both bring this sunshine with us.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally, off we go

Enjoy, obsession and remember: there's always a good turn of events somewhere in the face of persnickety Irish weather (as in, It's generally going to be better with people than things).

Edited: 27 September 2013, 17:12
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally, off we go

Ha ha, good advice, preglad. I'd already thought about whether we should go over to Cork and Blarney Castle for the day from Killarney if it's too wet for hiking Gap of Dunloe. At least we have options.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally, off we go

Have a wonderful trip and remember the old saying..."you are not going to melt" if it is raining (my DH tells me that I will only "lump up" - nice...). However, if it is chucking down with rain, I probably would avoid prolonged outdoor activities but if it is a gentle rain, put up the waterproof hood on your waterproof jacket and go out and enjoy stomping in the puddles (okay probably not really, but get out and explore)! :-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally, off we go

I guess the worst thing that could happen is that we curl up with books in front of the fireplace at Friar Glen. And now really,that wouldn't be too awful.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 19:09
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally, off we go

You too have a lovely time obsession.

There's nothing wrong with curling up with a good book in a nice environment.

Have fun, and safe flight.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally, off we go

.....if it rains too hard, its a good excuse to stop in to a pub for a comforting Irish coffee mmm. But if its a fine Irish mist (which I love) all that moisture is great for your complexion !!! Cant lose either way. Have a wonderful time. I just got home and want to go back !!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally, off we go

We made it! Three hour flight delay out of O'hare but everything went smoothly at Dublin with Hertz. Arrived in Dublin at 11 a.m. rather than 8 a.m. Luckily we got to Kilkenny by 2 and checked in at Fanad House, headed to the castle and design center. Loved the town! Ended up at Kyleter's for Irish stew, fish and chips and watching the all Ireland hurling championship. Great time. The "tourists" were all in another room listening to trad music. Also, lovely weather today. Mostly sun, just a rain shower during dinner.

Tomorrow, off to Cashel and eventually Killarney. Very tired! Good night all.