We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering Rentals

Helena,AL
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Self Catering Rentals

For renting self catering homes I have noticed that the price does not include the cost of utilities and that it is metered. Does any one know around what the costs would be? We will be there in Nov. I know that the cost would vary but any information would help. Thank you very much :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,776 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Catering Rentals

Some locations include the cost of utilities. If they don't there is usually a standard charge.

If there is a meter then it depends on how much electricity you use. And it depends on whether you are being charged on a basic electricity cost charge or if the accommodation provider is enhancing things.

Also important is the type of heating. Where there are charges, they are usually in the region of €6-7 per day. So I would suggest you budget this amount. It is highly unlikely it will go above this (we're talking monthly bills of €170 or so, which would be, frankly, nuts. So the likelihood is that it will be far less.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Catering Rentals

I've stayed in cottages that had fuel oil heat and others that used propane. The propane costs were much lower.

I also found that the charges were set by the cottage owners and could vary quite a bit from one owner to another.

The electricity costs were negligible.

Bean's numbers look pretty close to what we paid for fuel oil.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Catering Rentals

I have used the meters in self catering cottages before. The meter eats 1€ coins and we only fed it every other day, so the 2-3 € lasted us well over a day. We were not in the cottage day times, only evenings, and the cottage used gas for cooking and hot water which was included. We did use the electric heating in addition to the open fire. At first I had horrible images of having to go out during the middle of the night to top it off but it was all OK. (The meter was outside once) It IS a pain in the butt, and why the owners cannot just charge a few more quid is beyond me.

Cheers,

Sunny

Helena,AL
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Catering Rentals

Thank you everyone. I get all the best information from this site!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Catering Rentals

I have paid for electricity in a self catering rental too, I put in about 2 - 3€ a day and that was plenty. The one I had was inside and I could feed it 1€ and 2€ coins. This was in September though. It depends on the indidual property owner to be honest.

6. Re: Self Catering Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:18