We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Chris in CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Hello All,

I am looking on booking a week long self drive trip in March for my husbands birthday. All three of the above tour companies seem to have good deals, but is there one I should avoid? Any info is appreciated!

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

I didn't use a tour company. I booked the plane tickets, the car, and all accommodations based on our own preferences, not what a tour company thinks most people would like. It's less expensive that way and we likely had fewer surprises. It was NOT easy (decisions, decisions, decisions) but I think it made a much better trip.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

I agree with the previous poster. Do it yourself! I checked into several companies and saved tons of $ by doing it myself.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

I can't speak about two of the companies, but I've used CIE twice and planned the vacation myself. Using them to book the car and hotels made it super easy. On our first trip, all we had to do was pick what we wanted to see and tell them 3-4 star hotels. They figured out how long we would need to stay in which cities to see what we wanted. The second time, we simply told the how long and which hotels, and in one stop we had everything booked.

I've also gone the route of booking things myself, and in my experience, it was more trouble going to different hotel sites and booking stays, and I never ended up with the deal CIE gave us. The only reason I would not use CIE in the future would be if I couldn't for some reason...such as when the Ecumenical Congress was in Dublin and CIE didn't have rooms left in their blocks.

Chris in CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Thank you all for your advice! I'm going to price a few hotels vs the packages and see where I stand :)

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Im interested in an Ireland vacation with my family. Was wondering how your experience turned out with your booking

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

We booked a 12 day Irish tour with CIE.

It was one of the best decisions we have made.

Great staff, amazing Organization.

The only negative was the final Hotel and city(Royal Marine Hotel) Too far from Dublin and the Airport.

The Hotel was the worse of all on the Tour.

We changed to the Hilton Airport,very convenient only 10 minute shuttle to the Terminal and 15 minute Buse ride to Dublin.

usa
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

I just booked with exploring ireland. Anyone ever use them?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Go to the box, just over the first post on this page and you will find a search box. Key in Exploring Ireland and you will find a number of threads on this company.

Flat Rock, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

Anyone every book a tour through Exploring Vacations?

usa
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring Ireland vs. CIE Tours vs. Great Value Vacations?

I did and will go in May. The euro is low so it's a good time to book. I hope it's a good tour. The comments have been positive.