We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

jdbtraveler
12 posts
Save Topic
Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

I am flying in and out of Dublin (Wed morning to Monday morning) and definitely plan to hit Galway where I have a good friend. I don't want to spend my whole trip trying to get places and I realize I will only get to see a small portion of Ireland but any suggestions on an itinerary would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

My crystal ball doesn't seem to be working properly, maybe I should try the tea leaves.

We have no idea what you like to do or see and our suggestions may well be completely useless.

There is no substitute for some homework with a guide book and finding places that appeal to you. Then use google maps to work out driving times... then add on time because the times are optimistic on Ireland's more winding roads.

Are you flying long haul? This will take significant time out of your first and last days as you negotiate immigration and checkin, etc. You will also be jet lagged making a long drive on day 1 less attractive.

When you have some idea of an itinerary, come back to us and we'll help you fine tune it :)

Edited: 29 September 2013, 15:02
Maryland
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

Without knowing your interests, male or female, age, etc I suggest you head directly to Galway and connect with your friend. Are you staying with them?

You can do several day trips from there in your car and enjoy the evenings out in Galway. Consider a day trip to the Aran Islands, hire bikes to see the historic Iron Age monuments and the magnificent cliffs. There is also a castle there and some other sights, and pubs. Another day can be spent driving through Connemara up to Kylemore Abbey and then take a different route home, maybe along the coast and stop for some seafood, and pubs. If you are a sports fan perhaps your friend can set you up with some tickets for a sporting event, and if you are a shopping kind of female person Galway has a lot to offer in that area. Another day walking through Salthill, stop in some pubs, maybe horseback riding, or drive south along the coast for more castles and oysters, and pubs. See a pattern here?

There are many opportunities for stronger hikes in the local if that is of interest. The area is rich with opportunities and things to do without traveling far.

I did make the 5AM drive back to Dublin to return my rental car and still have 2.5-3 hrs at the airport going thru security and US customs and the early AM drive was a breeze with no traffic whatsoever on the motorways until very near Dublin and morning rush hour but it take nearly 3 hours to get to the airport. Then I paid the M50 tolls at the airport online. Or you can drive back the day before and spend the night near the airport. You will have a blast whatever you decide. Just remember, you will return to see and do more on another visit. WARNING- Ireland is habit forming !!

Cheers,

Sunny

Edited: 29 September 2013, 15:22
jdbtraveler
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

Thanks for the initial responses! I am a 35 year old woman and my cousin with whom I will be traveling is also female,28 from October 16th in the morning through the 21st. I will be coming in from Edinburgh so the jet lag should not be an issue. I have not yet bought a flight from Edinburgh and realize I can fly to Shannon instead of Dublin if that makes more sense. (Can I rent a car in Shannon and return it in Dublin or do they seriously charge for that?). I definitely will be going Galway for at least a night or two and do hope to spend at least a night in Dublin. I will not being staying with my friend.

I would really like to just see some nature/beauty and maybe a castle or two. It seems like further south east in Kerry is lovely but it seems like I might not have time...

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

There are two castles in close proximity to Galway - one to the north and one to the south. To the north you also have Kylemore Abbey - a rather popular site, and a lovely garden - called Brigid's Garden, but I don't know what will be growing in October. The Twelve Bens are also north and are easily accessed and quite scenic. If you fancy a bit of shopping, you could go north to Lenane to the wool center and visit the castle - I believe it's Oughterard - going either direction. Kylemore is a bit of a different route, so you might be best to not try to do that at the same time.

If you have affection for the movie The Quiet Man, there is a small museum in Cong, and you can still cross the bridge where John Wayne sat in the movie. The family that supplied costumes for the movie still has a shop in the city center - the name escapes me.

Between Dublin and Galway you can stop to see an abbey or two, and north of Dublin is Newgrange...also something worthy of the time spent.

I know this is only a little, but you only have 5 days and there's always a risk of trying to see and do too much.

Have a happy trip!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

If I may suggest that during your five days you make a loop from Dublin via the Boyne valley, Enniskillen, Sligo, Westport, Clifden, Galway and return to Dublin. There will be plenty to see along the way and this time of year try walking through a forest with all of the autumn colours is really magical.

6. Re: Have five days with a car- where to go? Itinerary help:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:20