We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

My husband and I will be in Ireland for two weeks in November . We are landscape photographers. We are not shoppers. We want to spend our time seeing the beauty that is Ireland. I have most of the Island trip planned out but I am not sure where to spend two days. Or if my itinerary will work.

3 days in Northern Ireland

Nov 7th, Land 8 a.m - pick up car lunch in pub near airport drive to Atrim area and check in. Sleep

Nov 8th, Dunluce Castle, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, Dark Hedges

Nov 9th, Giants Causeway, Torr Head Road, The Nine Glens of Atrim

Drive South from Atrim to Glendalough

Nov 10th, Glendalough, Rock of Cashel staying in Cashel

Nov 11th, Klkenny Ring of Kerry Staying in Kenmare

Nov 12th, Dingle staying in Dingle for 3 days

Nov 13th, Dingle

Nov 14th, Dingle

Nov 15th, County Claire; Adaire Quin Abbey, Cliffs of Moher,

Nothing planned

Nov 16th,

Nov 17th,

staying in Dublin 3 days

Nov 18th Dublin

Nov 19, Dublin

Nov 20th, Dublin fly out

My question is "Is it worth driving up North of Dingle in November to see the Cliffs of Moher?

I would like to see Quin Abbey in the County of Claire but is it even open in November?

As we are not interested in shopping and being in a city is there any reason to go to Galway?

Keeping in mind that we want to photograph castles, churches, landscapes where would you suggest we spend our two open days?

The English Market
Flea & Street Markets
Medieval Mile Museum
Art Galleries, Natural History Museums, Art Museums, Children's Museums, History Museums
The Art House
Art Galleries, Art Museums
The Milk Market
Flea & Street Markets
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

171956 Thank you for your concern. We do realize that daylight will be very short in November. We also know that we will be able to take photos all day long because of this time of year. Something we can't do here in Phoenix.

I summarized our reschedule to save time. We are spending 3 day in Northern Ireland in BushMill and we will travel out from this spot to all of the different spots; Dunluce Castle, Dark Hedges, Giants Causeway, etc. We will get in what we can without killing ourselves.

Our new schedule we will be drive from Bushmill early in the morning to Glendalough, taking pictures there at Glendalough around 2 p.m. and then driving to Kilkenny to check into our hotel for supper and sleep. Next day we will explore Kilkenny then on to Cashel and the Rock of Cashel. We will stay in a hotel in Cashel now. The next morning Hore Abbey then off to Kenmare. Two day doing ROK then on to Killarney to explore that area of ROK. The next day we are off to Dingle for 3 glorious days of exploring. On the 4th day we decided to stop in Adare, for lunch and a quick walk about. Off to Quin Abbey( 30 minutes) for a quick look see. (husband is a Quinn) Then off to Dublin to sleep and maybe a drink at Temple bar. Which is next door to our hotel. A full day for Dublin. Then fly home.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

It is a pity that you are not including more natural landscape regions instead of the usual touristy places in your trip. Perhaps you have a reason for this, but having seen recently on TA the pictures of the Northern Lights then November would be the perfect time to visit Donegal and explore the wild landscape countryside. As you are from the Quinn family you should be visiting Ballyconnell in Co. Cavan to see the real Quinn empire.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 10:59
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

Cavan I looked at the chance to see Northern lights in Dongal area, My husband has never seen them. I saw them many times growing up in Canada and they are magical. I just can't see fitting it in this trip. As this is our first trip we thought we would get the major tourist areas out of the way in November when we hope there will be less tourist.

You have intrigued me though, with your information regarding Ballyconnell in County of Cavan. We have been unsuccessful in tracing my husbands root's back to Ireland. We know that Patrick Quinn and his wife Alice and their son Daniel, came across to the US in and around 1812. We can't find any immigration papers or ship's log with these three names traveling across the ocean at the same time together. There are several Patrick Quinn's on the many ship logs. There are not many records before 1845 and the records are very simple like Patrick Quinn and 5 others. We were hoping to try and get some idea of where we could look over in Ireland while we were there, but we stalled because we had no idea where to start our search. We don't know where he came from in Ireland, or even what harbor he went out of . I will share your information with him regarding Ballyconnell and see what he wants to do. Thank you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

That sounds more reasonable. I had a mental picture line this …123rf.com/400wm/…8934655-fast-moving-car.jpg :-)

15. Re: Help with 2 week itinerary of Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:18