We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

I'm planning on visiting Ireland in early April and we plan on renting a car and exploring for 4 days. We arrive in Dublin early in the morning on the first day and we fly out of Dublin on the 5th day in the afternoon. My traveling companion and me move pretty fast and jet lag isn't to much of a concern. I'm hoping to see as much as i can but am a little unsure on what actual travel time will be like. I would like to see Rock of Cashel, Blarney castle, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Ross castle, Glendalough and more. I would love to go see the Giants Causeway and Belfast as well. If anyone can give me some advice on the best way to do this it would be a great help ^_^.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

You are listing WAY too many things for 4 days.

Plan on averaging 35 miles per hour as you drive.

We spent one full day seeing the Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills Distillery, and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge in the North.

Staying in Kenmare, it took us a 10 hour day to tour the Ring of Kerry and we didn't see everything we wanted.

Those are just a couple of examples.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

Thanks ^_^. I still have a little room to change my plans and am trying to figure out what I can fit in and what I should exclude. I could actually fly into another airport in Ireland and add one more day to travel as well.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

Alright lol so we might end of doing day trips from Dublin instead still not sure sigh

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,325 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

The best way to do your trip is by helicopter.

Jetlag mightn't be too much of a concern to YOU but what about the other drivers on the road? What about the safety issue. Also your comment about moving "pretty fast" - there are speed limits on the roads here. Its quite easy to get ticketed even if you are driving a hire car.

Take a look at routes.aaireland.ie Key your journeys into the journey planner. Then add on 10-15% to the estimated travel time.

Ireland may look very small on a map but in reality its a lot bigger. Average road speed off the motorways (and there aren't a lot of them here) is about 30mph. Roads are narrower and more winding than you are used to.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 22:43
5. Re: 4 day driving tour of Ireland - Need some Advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:20