We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

My girlfriend and I are going to Ireland this month. It's the first trip for both of us, but we only have 6 days in the country. We land in Dublin on the morning of 10/26 and fly out of Dublin the morning of 11/1. Our goal is to maximize our time there, since the trip is so short. We'd like to hit Galway, Kerry/Kilarney, and Cork, but I fear that might result in too much time spent in the car relative to the overall amount of time we have in Ireland. In Dublin, we're staying at The Morrison the first night, 10/26. I was thinking we'd spend 10/26 and 10/27 in Dublin, then drive to Galway early 10/28. Spend 1 night there, then drive to Kilarney the morning of 10/29. Spend 1 night there, in a castle or B&B, then drive to Cork. Spend 10/30 and most of 10/31 in Cork. Drive to Dublin the night of 10/31 and spend the night there, then fly out early that morning, 11/1. Do you think that's too much time in the car? If you had to chop one of the stops, which would it be? Any help/thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

-Brian Flanagan

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

Its not long but if it all you have its better than nothing!

I would chop Cork and add a further day in Killarney as you are spending a lot of time in cities already and Killarney will be quieter by then.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,082 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

Yes, that's way too much driving around for a 6-day trip. Looking at the driving time for that route, you'd be spending the equivalent of a full day (probably close to 10 hours) just getting from place to place, giving you, in effect, only 5 days' worth of sightseeing.

I'd recommend either: 1) staying in Dublin the entire time and doing several day trips from there. Good day trip destinations are Glendalough NP and Wicklow, Newgrange and Trim, and even Belfast or 2) dividing your time between 2 destinations--Dublin and another town. You don't state your interests, but I would probably choose Killarney (or Kenmare) as my 2nd destination since it's a small town in a very scenic area. You could easily spend 2 days sightseeing around County Kerry and perhaps use one day for a day trip to Cork if you are really keen on going there (or see Cork on the way to/from Dublin).

Unfortunately, it's just not possible to "do" Ireland in 6 days. I think you will enjoy the country so much more if you aren't rushing around in a car so much.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

I agree with the above comments and would add a suggestion, don't bother hiring a car and instead use trains and busses to get about. It would be far more fun and will mean that you give your girlfriend your full attention instead of the road.

Have fun.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

Instead of Cork, go from Killarney to Rock of Cashel and then spend a night in Kilkenny before returning to Dubln. Kilkenny is a great town, lots of young people and pubs. Better atmosphere than Killarney and the fellow tourists we met didn't like Cork all that well.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

I'll go with Cavan and suggest you forget the car. Stay in Dublin for 3 days, take one day out as suggested to Newgrange or Glendalough by guided tour and spend the other 2 days exploring the city. Then take the train or coach to your 2nd city and do the same.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

@171956, would you skip the car even if it only cost $150 for the week? I get a great Hertz rate.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

My calculator says that works out at just under €111 - which is a steal. Go for it. You will probably spend that much and more on gas! Have you added insurance?

8. Re: I have 6 days in Ireland and it's my first visit. Help :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:17