We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Etc.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Etc.

Seems to be quite a few car rental related complaints. Many appear to be due to insurance issues. We are an American couple touring Ireland for 10 days in May, 2014. We have reserved, not paid for, a car with Hertz out of Shannon.

I know a bit about cdw and super cdw, but it does seem that the rental companies ( like here in the US ) run a borderline scam with add-on costs. How can I really compare apples to apples? Should I get quotes from other companies? Are they all pretty much the same? Is the devil in the fine print?

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Etc.

The vast majority of the car rental complaints come from people who don't read the fine print or research the procedures for renting a car in Ireland. The rules that apply to most other countries don't always apply in Ireland.

In order to compare apples to apples you should get quotes from several companies and ask them to include all insurance covers, local fees,and refueling costs. Personally, I use Dan Dooley as a rental car agency. Others use Hertz (Easytourireland) and Avis. By calling these companies you should be able to get an idea as to the exact costs. There's nothing more aggravating to me than arriving at a car rental desk at 9am after an overnight flight and being forced to read fine print and haggle with a clerk. Know what the policies and prices are in advance, perhaps even pay in advance and you should have a smooth transaction.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Etc.

The devil is always in the fine print! Make sure you thoroughly read the terms and conditions of Hertz (hopefully you booked directly through them and not a third party). Those T&Cs will completely outline all additional charges you are likely to see, from insurances to airport fees, additional drivers and even what you have to pay VAT on.

The only way to compare apples to apples is to do this for each rental agency you are thinking of using, maybe even putting together a spreadsheet (like I am wont to do!) which details everything and all charges. That is the only way you are going to be able to figure it all out.

By the way, I have found better prices booking through the Irish website (.ie)of a particular car rental company than say the US website (.com).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Etc.

I've only used Hertz when in Ireland because I've found their prices reasonable and when I booked the car through CIE they sent me an agreement with no fine print - it was several pages long, but none of it was in fine print. One thing that seems to be pretty common though is the requirement of a substantial deposit if you don't get Super CDW. I panicked for a bit when I read that bit of the agreement before I remembered that I had purchased that as well.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Etc.

chris, like paul, I use dooley rental....800 331 9301 this is their new jersey number where you can call and get a quote that includes everything, including all insurances....paying ahead is the way to go for me.....no surprises at pick up or drop off.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Etc.

We used Hertz/Easy tour. No complaints, very efficient operation. Didn't have to pay up front, which was good because we ended up altering our itinerary slightly a couple of weeks before departure and we returned the car a day early. Loved having a GPS, wouldn't drive in Europe without one ever again.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Etc.

Thank you for your advice.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Etc.

I went through Dooley and pre-paid also. No problems.. It was expensive though. For 9 days i paid 892 US dollars. I did pay for both CDW & Super CDW and the extra insurance that pays for tires/mirrors etc. I also paid an extra 90 US dollars for a 2nd driver. I got an automatic - midsize car. The only thing I would have been responsible for, even if I brought the car back in pieces was 100 Euro. It was worth the money to not have to worry about the car and concentrate on driving and having a good time. From the time we got to their check-in desk at the airport until the time we were on the road was only about 15 minutes.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Etc.

wow, if you can drive a standard, get one....I paid less for 18 days than Sharon did for 9.....I bought all of the insurances she did, plus a $90 fuel deposit....when I returned home I called the dooley u.s. office and that was refunded to my card within 48 hours......

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Etc.

My best price so far is from Dooley. Looks like we'll go that way. Thanks.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Etc.

I know the standard transmission is much cheaper, and I can drive one. Just don't want to be doing the left hand thing along with left-hand shifting. God knows where the right or left foot is when all that is going on. Thanks for your advice.