We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Hello friends!

The wife and I will be arriving in Dublin, Ireland at 9 AM on Sunday, November 10, 2013. We leave Thursday, November 14 at 11:00 AM. We would love to see Dublin, Cork, Killarney and the Cliffs of Moher in this time frame. We arent much for museums, so most of our time will be spent seeing the main sights in those areas along with some dining, drinking and shopping.

We were thinking of powering through our day on Sunday when we arrive and spending it in Dublin. Perhaps checking into our hotel early and taking a power nap before heading out to see the city and enjoying some dinner and a pint.

I was looking into taking the train from Dublin to Cork at 7 AM on Monday morning which gets us into Cork by 9:35 AM. After spending the later morning and early afternoon in Cork we can catch a train from Cork to Killarney at 4:55 PM which places us in Killarney by 6:15 PM. We would have some dinner, enjoy a drink, maybe walk around the town that evening for a bit.

Where I am getting challenged with the itinerary is how to enjoy some time in the Ring of Kerry, but still getting to the Cliffs of Moher all while still trying to spend more time in Dublin on Wednesday.

We are ok with using trains, buses, taxis etc...we dont plan on renting a car. Does anyone have any ideas how we can swing this?

Sunday- Dublin

Monday- Dublin to Cork to Killarney

Tuesday- KIllarney to Cliffs of Moher to Dublin (or should we stay overnight near the Cliffs and take the train back to Dublin on Wednesday AM)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

I'm afraid I think this is too much for the time you have available, especially given the time of year you are travelling. It will be completely dark by about 5.00 pm, possibly a bit earlier. I love Killarney, but IMO there is no point in arriving at 6.00pm when it's dark, just to stroll around the town before setting off at the crack of dawn the next day - you'll see practically nothing of the scenery and attractions which make the town so popular.

With the time available, I'd keep Dublin to one whole day, as you are not into museums. skip Cork, spend day 2 and overnight in Killarney so that you can tour the National Park and maybe Muckross House if open. I'm not very knowledgable about public transport in Ireland, but I would advise against planning your 3 day around the Cliffs - if it's a misty day which is fairly likely, you will see nothing. If you spent days 2 and 3 in Killarney, you could spend the second day touring the RoK or the Dingle peninsula - plenty of coastal scenery on both. There are plenty of eating drinking and shopping opportunities in Killarney. Travel back to Dublin Wednesday morning spending your last afternoon/evening either in the city or in one of the coastal towns closer to the airport.

I'm sure that you will get some alternative suggestions from the local experts here.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Firstly, I'd advise you to drop one destination given your timescale and the time of year.

Dublin seems to be fixed by your flights (I assume it's too late to change to fly to Cork or Shannon?), so you're looking at dropping one of the other three.

So, for the Pros and Cons of each...

Cork: The advantage is that it's quite visitable by public transport. The disadvantage is that a number of the main sights are 20-30 mins outside the city, so you will be on and off buses and trains a lot. If you're just looking at visiting the city, I'd challenge whether you really want to visit 2 cities in Ireland

Killarney/Ring of Kerry: These are easy to get to by public transport, but not that easy to get around in the same way. You'd probably need to book on a tour bus to see the ROK. A lot of Killarney National Park can be seen by hiring bicycles.

Cliffs of Moher: These are challenging to get to by public transport and you're only likely to visit for an hour having spent a long time getting there. They are worth seeing, but are prone to disappearing into low cloud.

I would actually probably just try to go to Dublin and Killarney (one day hiring bikes to see Ross Castle, Muckross and Torc, one day tour of the RoK).

Another thing I'd say is that you should try to get the most out of your days by travelling after dark. For example, if you were to stick to your original plan, take the 20:50 train from Cork to Killarney. That way you would comfortable be able to see some of Cork and maybe one, if not two of Blarney Castle, Cobh or Midleton Distillery and then get a meal before taking the train. Daylight hours will be short at that time of year, so you don't want to waste them travelling. Your hotel in Killarney won't mind if you check in after 10pm (some B&Bs might).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Thanks for the tips! Looks like we will skip Cork (we only were going that way for Blarney Castle).

Now we will be flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. This will give us an itinerary like this:

Sunday- arrive Dublin 7 AM

Monday- spend more time in Dublin, train to Killarney

Tuesday-- overnight in Killarney

Wednesday- head to Cliffs of Moher, stay overnight somewhere near Shannon airport

Thursday- depart Shannon

whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks again-

Eric

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

"Wednesday- head to Cliffs of Moher, stay overnight somewhere near Shannon airport"

If you were doing this by car I'd say "why not, give it a try". But it looks like you're using public transportation, which would be a bus for the whole trip from Killarney to the Cliffs? Or actually either 2 or 3 separate buses I think. Killarney to LImerick with a change there, and then possibly another change to a 3rd bus to get you to the Cliffs. Which, like the other replies mentioned, could be socked in with clouds when you get there.

orange county,ca.
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

I am thinking about doing Eric's orginal plan in the month of July. Is that better suited or still keep it to three stops?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

eric's original plan wouldn't work any time of the year....sorry....

orange county,ca.
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

ok.....would there be any change to the 3 stop intenary if it was in July?

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Eric, this is much more sensible but I'm afraid I am still very doubtful about the Cliffs bit. Take heed of the advice above re getting there! Since its something you are determined to do I'm wondering if there is somewhere in the vicinity of Shannon Airport where you could pick up a bus tour- public transport really is unrealistic. Just to reiterate, even on a good day, a visit to the Cliffs is about 2 hours max, do you want to spend a whole day trying to do this when there are so many other, more accessible attractions available?

Good luck anyway!

Edited: 29 October 2013, 07:43
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

Eric, your plan still isn't feasible since you are relying on public transportation. Unless you are now tied into the Dublin/Shannon routing, I would do Dublin/Dublin and spend your entire time there. Since you aren't so interested in museums, you could visit Dublin 1 day and do three day trips--Belfast, Newgrange and Glendalough are good choices. If you'd like to visit some smaller towns, I'd recommend going to one located on the DART--Malahide, Howth or Bray. Also, if you are interested in seeing cliffs, Howth has some impressive ones. The cliff walk there offers some amazing views.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 14:02
10. Re: Dublin to Cork to Killarney to Cliffs of Moher and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:21