We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique my itinerary

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Please critique my itinerary

My husband and I will be coming to Ireland in June 2014. Our interests are things of historical value and beautiful and unique scenery. We will stay 8 days and 8 nights. We will arrive in Dublin at 8:00 A.M. and will be renting a car. Our plan is to go directly to Doolin and stay for two nights. We will likely be tired so will just have an easy day and get familiar with the area on day 1.

Day 2: Do the combo ferry going to Inis Mo'r and Cliffs of Moher cruise along with a tour of the island. In the evening go to one of the pubs for great entertainment and hopefully some food. We are a little concerned about food while in Ireland. We do not eat beef or mutton.

Day 3: Cliff walk with Pat. After this we will head to Killarney.

Days 4,5,6 in Killarney as a base. Ring of Kerry. Dingle Peninsula, Gap of Dunloe - I am not sure if we should do the Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula?? The Gap of Dunloe we would do a tour that picks you up from your hotel, ride a pony and trap to the Gap and boat ride to Ross Castle.

We will want to attend a Celtic Steps show while in Killarney.

The next thing I want to do is kiss the obligatory Blarney Stone, then head up to see the Rock of Cashel. I'm not sure how long all that will take. Should we spend the night in Kilkenny? We will need to spend one night in Dublin prior to flying back home on the day 9 morning. I'm not really sure there is anything of real interest for us in Dublin.

Please give me your thoughts and if you think there is something we should add in. I am not really interested in going to the Waterford factory. Thanks in advance!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Sounds like a good itinerary. It seems at though you've spaced everything out appropriately- there don't seem to be any vacant days, and you're not over-committing on any of the days as best I can tell.

To the last 3 days of your trip- if you're going from Blarney Castle to Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny would be a logical stop, and it's a beautiful area. Kildare and Carlow are other options as well.

A few of your days certainly seem like they'll be pretty well filled up- would certainly recommend taking the last night in Dublin to relax and see some live music. There are a few great spots to visit during the day should you find the time.

My one concern would just be to consider that Dublin to Doolin will be a long drive, especially coming off an overnight flight. I don't know where you're flying out of, or if your airline has any flexibility, but flying into Shannon and out from Dublin might make a little more sense considering the geographical layout of your itinerary.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please critique my itinerary

How many days do you have in total?

I wouldn't be concerned about food. There is a lot more to food in Ireland than beef and mutton! (I'm not used to seeing mutton as a menu item at all, it's basically "old lamb" lol).

I would give serious consideration to spending a day in Dublin in arrival before getting in a car and heading off on a 3 hour trip after flying from the States.

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Thanks all! I did consider Shannon airport but there was an issue ( don't recall what...maybe american did not go there??)

I really think the 3 hour drive from Dublin to Doolin we will be fine.

As far as the food, my husband worked in Cork for a few months starting up an Apple plant maybe 30 years ago. He is the one concerned about the food. He has warned me about the blood pudding. I don't think I can do that, but will try most things other than beef or the "old lamb".

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Itinerary looks fine.. food shouldn't be a problem, even Vegans manage to survive. If its just red meat off the menu then you will have no problems whatsoever.

Irish Fan, Mutton is becoming the "new" thing for Foodies now some celeb chefs have discovered how us culchies have been cooking sheep over hoggatt age for over my lifetime.

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Irish Fan, we will arrive on the morning of the 16th and leave on 24th, so basically 8 days and nights.

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Thanks Tony! I appreciate it. I am very excited!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please critique my itinerary

I think your itinerary looks good and your husband definitely has no need to worry about food. Ireland has changed a lot in 30 years!!

I have actually never tasted mutton and don't eat beef and I survive:-)

My sons are vegetarian and vegan and eat very well too.

You will find some great places to eat in all the areas you are visiting and if you need specific recommendations, you can come back to us before you travel

Edited: 24 October 2013, 20:39
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please critique my itinerary

I ate fish every night but one during my 8 night trip last month. It was heavenly!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Dublin to Doolin will take more than 3 hours if you haven't driven in Ireland before. I'd suggest you do a day in Dublin first.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 21:17
texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please critique my itinerary

Hi Harvey - Can you tell me why you think we should wait a day? Husband has driven in Ireland, but over 30 years ago. If our airplane gets in at 8:88 in the morning, I am having difficulty understanding why it would be better to wait. I understand about the overnight flight, but when we went to Italy a couple years ago, we got on fine. I am going to get the GPS software for Ireland and have a map as well.