We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

I'm starting to get the impression that the Cliffs of Moher may be a disappointment, given the current construction. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion for our first day in Ireland? We'll be landing at Shannon in the morning and will stay in Kilkee that night before heading to Dingle the following day. We're a family of mother and 5 adult children, by the way. Thanks.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

My family and I were at the Cliffs of Moher for the first time last week. I think it is definitely worth it, even with the construction. If you walk out past the "restraining" walls, past the "beware of the bull" sign (!!!), then you can take a good look down the cliffs. We used common sense, and didn't fall off......my 12 year old daughter loved it. It is still a beautiful spot, just look in the opposite direction from the construction!

illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

We arrived Shannon mid-day on June 17 and drove to Loop Head, south of Kilkee. The cliffs there are not as tall as Moher, but would probably qualify as a major tourist attraction in many locales. No construction, crowds, giftshops, parking problems or traffic. I've been to the Cliffs a couple times and would not discourage you from going, but as an alternative close to your route, Loop Head is one of the many palces in Ireland that is under the radar of tour companies who don't want to get too far from their usual route.

north carolina
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

My husband I are from Charlotte, NC. We went to the Cliffs of Moher two weeks ago. It was a site we decided to go and see after we rented a car and the ride through the Burren and everything was wonderful! The construction is not bad and the cliffs to me were absolutely amazing. I would recommend taking binoculars so you can see the birds and you can still sit on the ledges past the construction signs. I am afraid of heights and I still jumped the signs.

If you are going to Dingle, I highly recommend going to Inch Beach and driving the coastline up to Dingle. We went on a boat tour in Dingle to see Fungi the dolphin and he rode beside our boat for a solid 5 minutes. My husband and I found Dingle to be our favorite place in Ireland. In Dingle, check out Dicky Mack's and Foxy John's pubs. Dicky Mack's looks like a shoe store from the outside but the stars on the ground will give it away from the celebrities who have been there. It is across from the church and the church is across from Dicky Mack's (there is even a sign that says that). Foxy John's is around the corner. It looks like a hardware store from the outside but it is a bar that is disguised for the locals. We loved it!

We spent alot of time driving almost the whole southwestern coast. We actually chose to go from Shannon to Galway and spent three days going to Connemara, Aran Islands, Spiddal, Clifden, and we wish we would have hit Cong to see the Asheford Castle (hour by car) but we didn't. Then we moved down the coast to Cork and drove all around down there.

Any other advice I would be happy to give. Don't miss Cobh and see the Queenstown Story about the Titanic and the famine cruises. You get a free pint of Guinness at one of the bar's with the admission to this walking tour.

I would also highly recommend The Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe, Ross' Castle, Mucross House, and the boat ride from Ross' Castle over to the old 1100 Monastery Ruins. This would be a 1-2 day adventure that you won't miss. We missed out on the Ring of Kerry and we heard it was the best part of many tourists' trip. You can take a horse and trap at the Gap of Dunloe and also at the Mucross House. The Killarney National Forest is part of the Mucross Estate and is gorgeous.

Adare is adorable and quaint. Clonakilty where Michael Collins was born is a nice little town also. The Michael Collins center is very far out a country one-lane road so don't get worried.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

I would say still go.

For the alternate view head to Doolin and take the boat - about 15 mins from the main visitor site. A very different perspective. And better view of the wildlife. If you were at Doolin first thing you could do this and be away by midday I think!

We stayed in Kilkee - A very nice spot as well. Fairly quiet but a pleasant walk out on the cliffs and drive down to loop head.

We ate at Murphy Blacks - Very nice meal it was too!

Have great time!

5. Re: Alternative to Cliffs of Moher?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 02:16