We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

My wife & I will be over this Thursday and going up to Cavan, where my family comes from.

I had a great uncle KIA during the Civil War and listed on his Record Of Death & Interment, was a letter from a cousin, John Smith, address of Kilkelly P.O. & what looks like Derahary Co. Ireland. I maybe in error, but I don't find that county on the map. If we are in the area, I would like to take a look at it. Anyone have an idea where it could be? Thanks

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

The only Kilkelly I know of is in Mayo.

There's certainly no county called Derahary.

I wonder could the Co stand for something else.

Co. can also stand for company (either as a commercial organisation or as a unit by which armies are organised)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

maybe Derragh to the north-east of Kilkelly, Co Mayo?

maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/…7

Edited: 04 November 2013, 15:53
Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

The Derahary Co. Ireland, was copied by someone from a return address on a letter. At this time in the war. General Grant was getting thousands of Irish killed in just hours some days. i'm sure the person filling out the report, was in a hurry and had many more reports to do that day. I hoping, it was a major misspelling that someone could pick up on. But thanks for the Mayo, we will be at the Ashford, doing a John Wayne tour and I can do a drive by.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

According to the 1901 census records, there were probably more Smiths living in county Cavan than anywhere else in the country, but not more than a handfull in Co. Mayo. I am not sure about your spelling and don't want to jump to conclusions over the location of your John Smith however there were some Smiths living in Killyvally td (town land) situated near Ballyjamesduff in Co. Cavan. If you are up around those parts then I suggest that you drop into the Cavan County Museum situated in Ballyjamesduff and talk to some of the folks there. They have an exhibition running at the moment on Cavan emigration which might interest you.

Check out the local website: www.thisiscavan.ie

5. Re: Any of you Irish,ever hear of Kilkelly P.O. Derahary Co. Ire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:17