We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days in Ireland

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
15 days in Ireland

Hi,

we are planning our honeymoon in Ireland (from 4th to 18th April) with stops in Dublin, Kilkenny (or vicinity), Cork, Killarney (or Kenmare), Limerick. We are planning to get some day trips to Wicklow and to Galway when in Dublin and do the rest of our tour by rental car.

My first question is about the weather. I am ok with driving on the left (we drive on the left in Malta) but I have never driven on ice or snow (dont know how probable it is to find snow in April).

Secondly are my choices for stops ok? (I believe we can cover a lot of Ireland with 2 days stops in the mentioned places)

Ring of Kerry: is it better to find a tour or do it on our own (I beleive April is not high season yet but I have read that the roads can be quite narrow and tricky to deal with)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Hi. Last April we had snow on the hills so places like the Wicklow Mts were difficult to get into - but last April was unusual and it was only up the hills. Normally April is bright and breezy with heavy showers. and not too warm. There will still be frosty nights.

You might consider adding Galway after Limerick rather than spending a day going from Dublin and back. If you look at a map you'll see what I mean.

I'll leave the Kerry question to the experts in that part of the country. But yes, April is not high season and Easter (& its school holidays) happen after you return home.

Congrats on your wedding.

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Hi, I'm a tour guide, but not touting for business!

I can give you loads of pointers and will do so later when I'm less busy. Remind me

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Congratulations on your impending nuptuals.

You are unlikely to get snow or ice at that time of the year but..... we've had stranger. Never bet against the weather in Ireland!!

With regard to the Ring of Kerry - I would suggest you drive. For me, the best bits of the ROK are "off" the Ring e.g. Rossbeigh Beach (beyond Glenbeigh),

Valentia Island (accessible via a bridge at Portmagee),

St Finian's Bay and Skelligs Chocolate Factory www.skelligschocolate.com (the chocolate factory is about 100 yards from the beach - heaven. Total heaven.

Ballinskelligs Bay,

Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens heritageireland.ie/en/…derrynanehouse

(google image these places!!)

The great thing about driving yourself is that you can stop if you see a view you like, continue on if you don't like a place and are generally in control.

The roads on the Ring have been widened in many places over the last few years, and to be honest, if you can get a bus through, then you can get a domestic car through easily.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 14:34
Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Thanks for all messages above.

Shall i dedicate 1 day or more to the ROK?... my biggest dilemma so far is how many days to allocate to each of our stops.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 days in Ireland

The Ring can be done in a day. However Muckross House Gardens, Muckross Abbey and Torc Waterfall are places that should also be seen if you can. You can see all three in about 4 hours.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Regarding how many days to spend in places I think Dublin needs two full days to itself without day trips. More would be better but you can get a good flavour in 2 days.

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Hi again,

Everything your previous respondents have said is correct. Weather is usually ok, but always expect rain.

Allow two nights in Killarney, with a full day for the RoK and assorted stops en route. You should also consider the Fabulous Slea Head drive,beyond Dingle town on the Dingle peninsula, next to the RoK.You could do this from Killarney, diverting to Dingle, on the way to Limerick. Allow a half day. Useful advice if self driving. On the RoK travel anticlockwise from Killarney, to Killorglin, Cahirciveen, Waterville to Sneem then back to Killarney through the mountains. That way you run with the tour coaches rather than meet them head on by going the opposite way. On the Slea head (dingle) run travel clockwise. There probably won't be too many coaches at large when you travel, but its best to be prepared.

Give the Clare coast a visit( cliffs of Moher, the Burren coast road and Galway Bay, before visiting Galway itself. Galway is great fun and very Spanish in character. Stay overnight or visit on a Saturday, when its buzzing. Maybe follow through by visiting Connemara, west of Galway. All these available on Google images. However,if its raining you won't see much, unfortunately.

Kilkenny and the South East is often overlooked, just because it isn't on the mass market coach tour routes. South Kilkenny and West Waterford are worth visiting for small villages, pubs and great food, as well as a lovely coastline.

Personally, I find that your local hosts will go out of their way to help you. In Ireland we have rediscovered the traditional Irish Welcome ever since the demise of the Celtic Tiger economy. Just ask and enjoy yourselves!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 days in Ireland

your choice of places to stay will depend on whether you are comfortable with tons of traffic....cork and limerick, I love both, have tons of traffic as does Dublin but sounds like you won't have your rental car while there.....galway is really hard to navigate too, lots of one way streets, parking difficult to find and costly...but if you'd would like to join up with lots of college kids, it's the place to go.....

I agree to allow a full day for the ring...as for which directions to drive it, I've done it both ways and one way is as good as the other, IMHO, and as bean pointed out the roads are much improved over the last few years and aren't as small as they used to be....as for dingle and slea head, if you want to visit those I would suggest that you not do so from killarney, allow a couple of nights to stay in or around dingle.....

whatever you end up doing, or wherever you end up staying, have a wonderful time and congratulations on your marriage.....

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 days in Ireland

Thank you all for the insights and suggestions so far... our itinerary is taking shape nicely :)

any more suggestions would be welcome tho !

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 days in Ireland

With regards to our stop at Cork, I have heard its quite busy with traffic (considering it is my first experience driving abroad) I was thinking if it would be more easy if we choose to sleep in another nearby town (and still be able to visit Cork and surrounding area). Any tips?