We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

Where should we be based for touring the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren? We will be visiting Ireland in May 2014 and plan to spend two nights in a b&b. Would like to be walking distance to town, restaurants, and pubs. Have done some research on Ballyvaughan, Doolin, and Kinvara.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,023 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

I personally love Kinvara. Its a GORGEOUS town and you have the added advantage of Dunguaire Castle shannonheritage.com/DaytimeAttractions/…

Kinvara is easily walked and the quay is beautiful.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

We spent one night in Doolin and a couple of nights in Kinvara on our last trip to Ireland. We really enjoyed our stay in Kinvara--nice town with a good selection of restaurants. (The Medieval Dinner at Dunguaire Castle was a lot of fun and the food was really good!) Doolin, however, was too small and full of tourists for our tastes--we didn't really enjoy our time there at all.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

Thank you for your reply. Fodors also likes Kinavara, and everyone talks about how beautiful the town is.

By the by, do you happen to know if the music festival will be in Ennis in May 2014? I think it's spelled Fledah. How crazy is that scene? Not that we don't like some crazy on occasion. Does everything book up early? Can you get in and out of town relatively easily? Is everyone 20 years old? Our dates in Ireland are May 16 - 25.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

Thanks, Longhorn. For a Virginian, you sure know a lot about Ireland. I have read a number of less than enthusiastic reviews of Doolin. Odd, seeing as it has the reputation of being a hotspot for traditional music. Guess it's American tourists like me who kind of screw it up.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

well here's another opinion...I love doolin myself...now not for more than one night as it's quite easy to see the village, the cliffs, etc., in one day...have a heavenly chocolate shop too and I always enjoy a night at O'Connor's pub too...

I also like kinvara, lovely village....

as for tourist in doolin, maybe it's because 7 of my 9 trips I have gone in may and it wasn't bad at all.....either place you stay, you'll have a good time and be treated well and be received with a smile.....

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

I posted in your other thread about our stay in Kinvara, which was quite nice. I have to say that this was one of the decisions that I stressed most about -- and I can say that for one night, we would've been happy in either Doolin or Kinvara and all my stress was unnecessary!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

I too have responded in your other posting of the same name. :-)

8. Re: Touring Base for Cliffs and Burren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:18