We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

Does this price look like it is in line for 8 days, automatic, economy car. It includes the Excess waiver. This is for June 16, 8:00 am to June 23, 8:00 pm...so basically 8 rental days.

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

Oh and this is with a 5% discount from a promo code.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

I would suggest for comparison purposes, that you go to "travel supermarket" where various quotes can be obtained. as you are from usa, make sure that any quote includes cdw. your cc insurance will be unlikely to cover you here.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

A compact automatic (F) with Hertz.ie costs 480.85euros for those dates if you prepay. Rate includes unlimited mileage, tax, location service charge, theft protection and collision damage waiver (cdw). Super cdw is extra and according to their website will cost 128euros for 8 days. You would have to pay this direct to Hertz when you collect the car.

For more details on car rental :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

Thanks all. The rest of the planning seems so easy compared to this part of it!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

Just remembered that I've seen several posts where folk have booked their car through a company called "Easy Tour Ireland" and the rate quoted includes all insurances (cdw + super cdw). Apparently the rate is guaranteed in euros and you pay Hertz direct when you collect your car.

I can't vouch personally for this company, but if you care to do a search on this forum, you will find several posts with favourable comments.

http://www.easytourireland.com/index.html

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

We recently returned from Ireland and our 9-day Hertz rental was arranged through Easy Tour Ireland. Based on our experience, I am very happy to vouch for them!

The car-hire is a MAJOR expense and I, too, was finding the process very stressful! Thankfully, I came across a number of positive remarks about Easy Tour Ireland here on TripAdvisor. I checked out their website, called their contact person (Conn O'Scannlain) with a question about vehicle sizes, and requested a quote. It was emailed to me within the hour. I was impressed. ALL of their quotes include Super CDW insurance, as well as a number of other coverages that are itemized on their website -- AND on their quotes. The bottom-line estimate for your rental is also clearly stated on your quote. (The actual amount I ended up paying when I returned the vehicle to Hertz at the end of our 9-day rental was exactly 5 Euro over my quote -- to pay for tolls.)

Renting our car through Easy Tour Ireland was one of the best decisions I made in planning our trip. I am not connected to Easy Tour Ireland in any way, and only wish to pass on what I personally experienced. Best of luck in your planning!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

I recently (in September) rented an intermediate group manual transmission car from Budget for four rental days. We did get upgraded to the next class of car - larger and more comfortable, with a diesel engine, for no additional charge. Still a manual though, I prefer driving a manual.

The 309 Euro included the basic rental cost, the airport surcharge, VAT, 3rd party insurance, CDW and SCDW and a fuel deposit. The fuel deposit was 124 Euro, which was refunded with no hassle when I brought the car back with a full tank of diesel.

The total actual rental cost for four days was therefore 185 Euro.

For eight days I would therefore probably have had to pay about 370 Euro.

Just shows how much more you have to pay for an automatic! Time to learn how to "drive stick" :)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

you might call dooley at their u.s. office 800 331 9301, I just tried their site, and unless I am missing something, their price is 500 euro for that time frame, automatic......most times I have found the price is cheaper if you deal with them via phone versus the web site quotes....it's worth a shot.....I talk to Doreen for reservations and quotes......

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

just out of interest, does that include the charge for fuel? they are the only ones who say to bring the car back empty, which means that the fuel cost would be added to the hire price. incidentally, there was an article in the irish papers, a couple od days ago, criticising such a fuel policy , and telling renters to avoid any company who demands bringing back the car empty!

texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Total Rental Cost: $929.33 (655.50 Euro) Car Hire

It could be the age. My husband is 71. When I check, I still get the same price. This includes all insurance. The price did not include the fuel charge.

I just booked through easytourireland. The price I got that included everything except fuel was 530.91 euro for an automatic for the 8 days. It included all insurances except tires and windshield.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 19:45