We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

My husband and I will be making our first visit to Ireland early December to see David Gray in concert. We're flying into Dublin, heading to Wexford (1 night) then Ennis (2 nights) (seeing the Cliffs of Moher from there) and then??? We're just not sure what to do next. We fly out of Dublin 8 days later, will probably spend 1 night there, possibly 2, still leaving 2-3 nights to spend in ?

We both like to bike and bike year round so if road biking opportunity was possible that would be great, but not a requirement. We've considered Galway, Westport, Kilkenny, Waterford but can't decide. We don't want to spend most of our time in Ireland in the car so feel like we don't have time to visit Dingle. We've wondered too if there's a town in the interior of the country that might be good.

From what we read it seems we would have the best chance for drier weather in the southeast rather than west coast. Weather is a factor because we like to hike, bike more so than shop. Although if the weather is really bad we'll spend our time in shops, pubs, etc.

If County Monaghan was closer we would go there as that is where my ancestors hail from.

Sorry for rambling, but not sure where to spend the rest of our trip, so if you have some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Susan

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

If cycling is your thing and you're going to Westport, the Greenway cycle is worth considering, even in December. Why have you decided on Wexford, it's a lovely spot but somewhat out of your way.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

Wexford is where the David Gray show is. We're leaning towards Westport, in part because of the biking.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 22:21
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

There's lots to see and do in Wexford. For me, must sees there would be the lighthouse at Hook Head, the rather eerie Loftus Hall and of course Tintern abbey.

If you are a JFK fan , the homestead outside New Ross is worth a quick trip, in conjunction with the famine ship in New Ross itself.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 23:34
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

and the 1798 Center and Castle in nearby Enniscorthy. There's plenty to do and see in Wexford.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

Thanks for the information about Wexford, but we're only going to be there 1 night so we won't have time to see much.

Our itinerary is:

Wexford - 1 night

Ennis 2 nights

Possibly Westport for 3 nights

Dublin 1 night (or Westport 2 nights and Dublin 2 )

We haven't decided for sure on Westport but leaning that way so we can bike the Greenway (Westport to Achill) trail and also see the Connemara area. There's a 3 1/2 hour bike tour in the Connemara I just read about that includes a visit to a castle that we hope to do.

How does the itinerary look? Do you think Westport is a good choice? Would you recommend 2 or 3 nights there? Thank you!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

Susan, I have responded on one of you other threads with your itin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

I would say westport. Irish people go there on holiday a lot. You can cycle around there. Its really a very good place and I would say choose it now. Is Johnny Greraghty's still going? If not, there will be hundreds of other places. Drive out to Achill. cycle to Louisburgh. Climb the reek.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

Saw your post, akandal - thanks!

YesIdaresay, thanks for weighing in. We've decided on Westport and waiting to hear back from a couple of places regarding a room. We're checking into a shuttle where they drive you out to Achill and then you cycle back to Westport. Will see if cycling to Louisburgh makes more sense.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

In Wexford, this is a good central hotel.

www.talbotwexford.ie/

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland in December - 1st visit indecision

When Harvey says that Wexford is out of the way, it is only out of the way if you are on the other side of the country! It has a lot to offer, as does much of the south east, it seems a shame to be in that part of the country and not have a look at some of it.