We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

Houston, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

I'll be in Dublin for NYE through Jan. 3 and wanted to take a day rail trip on the 2nd. All the tours are closed that day, so I set out to create my own. As of now, I'm planning to take Irish Rail to Galway/Cliffs for the morning, then express bus to Limerick for afternoon/evening, and rail back to Dublin late night. All for less than 50 euro booked in advance.

Can anyone suggest a better itinerary? This is my first trip to Ireland so I really don't know what's out there. Thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

No rail to the Cliffs! And you won't cram all that into one day. Where do you intend to get the bus to Limerick?

Edited: 12 December 2013, 20:25
Houston, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

There's an X50 from Galway to Limerick every hour. Getting to the Cliffs is a pain I won't endure, but the rest seems doable.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 21:18
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

What are you going to see and do? Why not just stick to a Galway day trip? Your day just sounds like train Dublin to Galway, bus Galway to limerick, train back to Dublin. You'll spend about 6 hours or more just travelling

You can also take the train from Galway to limerick for €6 if booked online

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

If you tweak your itinerary, it'd work.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

That's far too much for one day IMO. Remember days are short at this time of year. All you will be doing is travelling and you won't be able to see anything out the window after 4:00 p.m. anyway as it will be dark (3:30 p.m. if it's a wet and cloudy day!!!). If you want to go to Galway get the very first train of the day out of Dublin, spend the day there and come back as it starts to get dark.

6. Re: Planning my own day rail trip from Dub Jan. 2. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:19