We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

To celebrate her high school graduation, my daughter and I are planning on spending a week to 10 days in Ireland during June 2014. We'd like to fly into Shannon, rent a car, and explore the southwest of Ireland for the duration of our trip. Other than that, we'd like to leave our plans open and just go with the flow. With June being a popular month for tourism in Ireland, would that be a feasible plan, or should we play it safe and look to book lodging in advance?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

You will no doubt be told its a terrible idea... On the other hand I have been winging it for 40 and only slept in the car once. that was a pre booking that got lost ? (even though the hotel charged my card as a no show!!)

Standard answer... As a Couple with no preconceived requirements above a clean bed and a good Breakfast then it's fine to wing it a little

Winging it the t2p way. or how we tour

Book the 1st and last nights. Pin a Michelin 712 map on an empty wall. Decide any must see places and pin them. work out some stepping stones(towns) on a rough route. get a list of 3 guest houses and 1 hotel for these potential places. email the hotels and ask if there are (1) any events or festivals locally on your possible dates. (2) if the hotel is doing any special offers on your possible dates. Talk to your host and ask in the local pub what's worth seeing. Phone ahead at breakfast for the evening accommodation. Only book one night at once, if the place is good or there's things to do and see within a 30mile radius book an extra night.

Tourist Information Bureau are great and will always find you a bed for the night. Provided there is one available and of course provided they are open! not much fun knocking on doors at 6pm.

Of course you don't have to visit every place on your list but having a few numbers is better than knocking on doors ..

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

As Tony says, it's possible to "wing it" in June, but there are some questions you should consider first. If you can answer "Yes" to the first 3 questions and don't have a tight budget, then you can wing it. Otherwise, you might want to consider booking some or all of your B&Bs in advance.

1. Are you willing to spend valuable sightseeing time each day looking for that night's lodging? (It may not be as easy as one phone call at breakfast.)

2. Are you willing to share a bed? (A B&B may not have a room with two beds on a last-minute basis.)

3. Are you willing to stay in a less-than-optimal location? (B&Bs in town or close to town are often the first ones booked out.)

4. Are you on a budget? (If so, you might want to book in advance to insure you get a good B&B at a rate you can afford.)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

1, I never spend time looking for lodgings as I always have the number for 3 in the next stopover, or if they fail I call into a Tourist information office before 4pm.

2, True, are you mother and daughter which I would imagine wouldn't be a problem. father and daughter might be a different story..

3, Most Tourist places have plenty of town location or at least walkable into town then cab back.. you sort this when making your list of possibles.

4, Rack rate for most B&B's is about €35 per person and 95% of available accommodation will give you a clean room and bed plus a great breakfast, some places have pretensions of grandeur and can charge €80 per person but you can get a great hotel room for less. Don't discount Hostels there are some excellent ones around and just about all have private rooms these days.

As I said always book the 1st and last night.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 10:51
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

Go for it. In June it isn't absolute peak, but is bright.. So it is easy to drive around into the evening looking for somewhere. The old fashioned way is to call at a B&B and see if they have a room, if not they'll often suggest Mrs Murphy down the side road. The modern way involves smartphone apps and calling people from your mobile ohone. A combination of the old and new will ensure that you are not stuck.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

You'll have a ball. Book nothing.

Come and enjoy.

6. Re: Freestyle Ireland - Good Idea or Not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:17