We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in March 2014

Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in March 2014

Sorry I accidentally posted this in the tripadvisor support forum!

My daughter and I are traveling to Ireland March 10-19. We will be flying into Dublin and arriving early (6am) on the 11th. We plan to end our trip in Dublin the 16-19 so want to drive a short distance the first day. Suggestions? Also, we have a hotel booked for Dublin those days but are staying in BandBs the first 5 days. At this time of the year is it necessary to prebook the BandBs? Or book only the first night and see where we are the other days?

Would love to watch trained dogs herding sheep somewhere (sorry we love animals). Is that possible? We are not doing a coach tour but a self drive trip.

Any help is appreciated

Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Galway Tour Company
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Rural Pub Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Kissane's Sheep Farm situated between Killarney and Kenmare has the sheep herding demonstrations.

What I would suggest you consider doing is getting a flight from Dublin to Kerry International Airport, the day you arrive. There is an 11.10am flight with Aer Lingus, leaving Dublin Airport on the 11th March. It arrives in at 12.05. You can then hire a car in Kerry and spend a few days there. www.aerlingus.com

The flights are €43.99 per person, currently and the luggage allowance isn't as good as the international allowance but it will save you a huge amount of time and hassle. www.kissanesheepfarm.com

Many B&Bs will be closed at that time so I would suggest you book in advance.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Excellent suggestion from Bean A re flying to Kerry, but if you still intend driving on Day 1, then a reasonably short and relatively easy drive would be to Kilkenny city and stay there your first night.Kilkenny is an interesting place to visit. After that I can't advise you as you have not indicated where you might like to visit, apart from seeing the sheep dogs, for which Bean A has given you a link, and if you were going to do that, then you would have a nice journey from Kilkenny to Killarney, with the option to visit the Rock of Cashel or Cahir Castle (my preference) on your journey.

I would suggest that you return the hire car as soon as you get back to Dublin, as it is a compact city and the main sights of Dublin are all within relatively easy walking distance of each other and are on the HoHo route - unless you intend using the car for a day trip out of Dublin. A nice day trip out of Dublin, that does not require a car, would be to Malahide and/or Howth - both are coastal towns with a nice atmosphere, plenty of restaurants and coffee shops and some lovely walks. You can get the DART train from the city centre to either of those places or bus #31 for Howth and bus #32 or #42 for Malahide. If you took the DART to Malahide, you can then get bus #102 to Sutton DART station and from there get the DART to Howth village. There are great views of Dublin Bay from Howth Head (the #31 bus will bring you up to there). You would be able to see both places in the one day.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Thank you for your suggestions. We hesitate to get on another flight after 8 hours! We would prefer to just drive a short way out of Dublin and I was thinking Kilkenny. With your suggestion we will spend our first day and night there. Wednesday we will drive to Killarney (visit one of the castles on the way) and Thursday do the Ring of Kerry which is where the farm is located. Spend two nights in Killarney? Then drive up to Galway, stopping at the Cliffs of Moher and spend one or two nights in Galway. How long will it take to drive from Galway to Dublin? We are considering driving to a B&B closer to Dublin for our Saturday night stay as we would like to be in Dublin by 11 on Sunday.

Good suggestion about returning rental car when we get to Dublin. I was thinking of that. We have booked the Ashling Hotel. Is it clean and safe? We felt lucky to get it Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday over St. Patrick's Day.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in March 2014

One other question--is it best to make reservations to eat somewhere in Dublin on the 17th? Is that even possible on St. Patrick's Day? What about the 16th? How far ahead? My daughter is 29 and would like a lively place (but not college age) and I will tag along with her wherever....

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in March 2014

The Ashling is a nice hotel. And staying out there, this is your dining venue.

www.ryans.fxbuckley.ie/

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Sorry about the link. It's a two minute walk when you exit the hotel to your right.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Thank you!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland in March 2014

Galway to Dublin will take about 2.5 hours - http://goo.gl/maps/ROzZ3 - you will have motorway from just outside Galway all the way to Dublin. As regards your B&B for the night you return to Dublin (Saturday), you might consider staying in Malahide that night, which is very easy to get to, and as I said in my earlier post, a nice atmosphere and a good selection of restaurants for a meal that evening. It is also very near the airport (15 minutes), where I presume you will be returning the hire car, which you would do on the Sunday morning.

As you will then be staying in the Ashling, after you return the rental car, you could then get the Airlink747 express bus from the airport to the city and it stops very close to your hotel, at Heuston Station which is a less than 5 minute walk to the Ashling. You would also be able to get that express bus back to the airport on your departure day. Single fare €6 pp, return €10. The Ashling is convenient for getting to the city centre as the LUAS tram has a stop at Heuston Station.

Kilkenny Castle - www.heritageireland.ie/en/kilkennycastle/ - is worth a visit, although it is more stately home than traditional castle, whereas Cahir Castle - heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/CahirCastle/ - is very much a castle in the traditional sense - but both are worth seeing for their different styles. Also worth a visit is the Dunmore Cave about 10 Km outside Kilkenny - heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/DunmoreCave/

If you do not plan to visit the Rock of Cashel, it would be a very pleasant drive from Kilkenny to Killarney, if you go via Clonmel - http://goo.gl/maps/X8g9U

Ross Castle in Killarney is yet another style of castle and worth visiting - http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/rosscastle/

Nebraska
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland in March 2014

We are trying to decide between two nights in Killarney or 2 nights in Dingle. Would like to shop a little (jewelry and/or clothing) and would like to find a pub at nights with music--maybe an Irish dance show. Then we will be staying in Galway 1 or 2 nights before arriving in Dublin on the 16th.

Any recommendations?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland in March 2014

In March Killarney is better, I think.

The shop in Muckross House has some nice locally made Jewellery and also has clothing www.muckross-house.ie/mucros-craft-shop.html

There are clothing shops and some nice jewellery shops in Killarney town centre. And there are also clothing shops in the Fair Hill Outlet Centre.