We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

Hi all,

I will be touring Ireland with my sister for 3 weeks this september. I am still at the "gathering information" stage and do not yet have a solid itinerary, but the posts on the forum are giving excellent me ideas of places I must visit. Thanks for all the wonderful info!

We are starting off September 3rd in Dublin for 2-3 days, and then renting a car and heading around Ireland and Northern Ireland in a generally clockwise direction. We will be staying at B&B's that we find along the way, and we'll keep moving forward every day or so, instead of setting up a base and doing day trips from there.

What I need help with is finding a couple activities that will enable us to take much needed breaks from driving 2 or 3 times during our trip. We don't wan't the pace to be so exhausting that we end up looking forward to heading back home after 2 weeks.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

In N.Ireland take a walk around the Giants Causeway and surrounding area, take in Dunluce Castle (stunning scenery) maybe check the Ulster American folk park.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

You could take a day trip to one of the islands e.g., Sherkin or Cape Clear from Baltimore, Inisheer from Doolin, Inismor from Rossaveel, or Tory from Bunbeg. As well as the fun of the boat trip, the islands are lovely places you can explore on foot, and hardly see cars at all.

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

great idea about heading over to one of the islands on a ferry - inismore, one of the aran islands off the coast of galway is a beautiful place. the beauty of it is that only the locals have cars - tourist arrive by ferry and can then rent bikes or walk around - there's a few b&b's there tho you should check out before travelling that they have space. if you like wild and rugged scenery and a peaceful friendly place that feels like you've stepped back in time, then the aran islands are a must. guaranteed total rest from driving the roads of ireland! when there make sure to visit dun aengus fort.

if in kerry (and you should visit the ring of kerry) take time out to walk some of the beaches - dingle and inch are utterly beautiful. just outside of dublin there's powerscourt gardens where you can stroll and have lunch and then there's glendalough and the wicklow gap which has stunning scenery as you drive through the mountains. if in dublin for a few days and you have a car then try Johnny Foxes pub which is out towards enniskerry - great for a meal and irish music in the evening -

in clare, there's Bunratty Folk Park and they also run a Medieval Banquet in the evenings - tho you would need to check as to making reservations in advance for this. one other suggestion - you can take a trip on a speed-boat from DunLaoighaire out around Dublin Bay - gives great views of the bay and is a fun way to spend a few hours. enjoy the trip!

Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm slowly building up a list of A) Must see B) Hope to see and C) Only if I have the time...

I will surely post my itinerary as it becomes clearer in the next weeks.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

Aran islands from Dooling in Co. Clare. You cant take the car there. There is also a hostel there to stay overnight

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

You could take a day out to go horse riding or kayaking - there are riding schools (of varying quality) all over the country - and almost all will take you out for an hour or two even if you have no experience. You'll usually need to book in advance - but you can do this a day or two in advance (or even the morning of). See www.ireland.ie in the 'things to do' section to search for stables / equestrian. Horse back is a great, slow paced way to see the countryside rather than just zooming it through it in a car.

Also you could spend a day / half day at an adventure centre - there is one in Connemara (Co Galway on the West Coast) - the Delphi Adventure Centre and another in I know in Carlingford, Co Louth. For instance you could spend a morning / afternoon sea kayaking at either of these centres.

A day trip or overnight to one of the off shore islands is a great suggestion too - try Inishboffin on the west coast as an alternate - get the ferry from Cleggan harbour.

ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

Hi JJTravel,

Blue Gazelle suggested the Giant's causeway and Dunluce Castle.

While you are there visit the oldest licensed distillery in the world at Bushmills --1608. Then to Omagh & the Ulster American Folk Park, a great outdoor social history of Ulster and emigration to the North Americas. They have a great Bluegrass Festival in Sept, lasts a whole weekend.

Then into Donegal, visit the restored Donegal castle of the O Donnells. Take a trip into Donegal Bay on the 165 seat waterbus and listen to skipper Billy tell it all in his own inimitable way. Go to Sliabh League, all of 1972 feet high. You may walk up and over it. You may also go the pier nearby and take one of the boat trips round under Sliabh League --then you have an up and down view. If 1972 ft up is too high, go about six miles to lovely Glencolmcille and walk up to Geln Head. At 800 feet it is as high as the Cliffs of Moher. At Glen Head see off into Sligo,and Mayo and into quite a bit of Donegal. So you have a hige lot to see within a few hours driving. From the Causeway to Donegal is only two hours.

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

On the way North you should stop at Newgrange and must stop at Monasterboice. At Monasterboice there is a round tower and Muiredachs Cross that dates to the 9th century. Further north in Co Louth you should stop in Carlingford. ( on the road there you pass the Proleek Dolmen and is worth a stop) It is a very nice village in the Cooley Mountains with beautiful views across Carlingford Lough to N. Irealnd and the Mourne Mountains. If you go there make sure to stop on Omeath, the next village, and go to the Long Womans Grave. You park your car face down the hill and let the brakes off - the cars will roll back UP the mountain - it's unreal. Then off to NI. All the suggestions are great. Giants Causeway is a must. Was there in June and it is stunning.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

You've been watching Father Ted!

10. Re: Suggestions for leisurely activities during 3-week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:19