We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

For my wife's birthday I'd like to take her to launch some sky lanterns in January. We need a quiet, unpopulated, area not too close to the coast.

We're staying in central Dublin so it would need to be not too far away. Any tips are much appreciated?

(I know we need permission from the IAA to launch sky lanterns, and I've contacted them)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

I doubt that any approval would be given to them within a very large radius of Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,662 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

Hi Paul

Lovely idea, however, the windy weather tends to get in the way of it anytime we've tried it. Maybe have a plan B just in case.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

Best to check with the Coast Guard too, the lanterns have been mistaken for emergency flares in the past. Very impressed that you are being responsible, makes a change from the usual muppets that let them off anywhere.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,969 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

Not too close to livestock either... the wires left over can cause damage to cattle and horses.

5. Re: Safe place to launch sky lanterns near Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:17