We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CIE tours - Ireland

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
CIE tours - Ireland

My husband and I are looking into CIE tours for a trip to Ireland sometime in August/September 2014. Could anyone way in on their experience with CIE? Also, what was your group size? Any feedback from your trip is greatly appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

If you type CIE into the search bar above your question you will find a whole wagon load of answers, unfortunately 90% of those are garbage praising the guide and driver like they are the only reason to take the tour because nothing else gets a mention. Of the other 10% you will find reviews from Genuine customers some for and some against.. but will give you some idea.. That said there are a whole heap of tour operators cover the Island so shop around for one tour that best suits or usually better DIY.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

cie will do as good a job as any other....I took a tour with them in 2000 for my first trip to Ireland...I can tell you as tony pointed out the driver/guide was terrific with a great sense of humor, very knowledgeable of the sites and Ireland in general, and even sang for us a couple of times....

we covered a lot of ground, and spent a lot of time on the bus.....some things that they say you "will see" is just that....you don't stop, they drive past it and point it out to you....early starts everyday, limited luggage allowance, too many shopping stops, sometimes too short a time at sights you like, others too long a time, and very little free time....some, but not a lot....

without getting my albums out I can tell you we started in Dublin, did giants causeway, galway, cliffs of moher, dingle, killarney, blarney and ended up back in Dublin.....this was 10 days....there is more of course and I may have them in the wrong order, but I can tell you it was a lot of bum time....

.was a nice enough group on the bus and I believe it was 40 of us, no empty seats.....I remember two young teens on the bus because they were constantly complaining to their parents about getting off the bus...I felt sorry for the parents but mostly for the kids......bus tours just require to much time confined to the bus in order to get all the promised sites in and that's just tough on energetic kids....of course it was tough on the other passengers to listen to them too.....

since then I've been blessed to return 8 more times and did self drive....so much better for me...I can stay as long or short a time in any area I want...love being able to soak up wherever I am and not be herded about on someone else's agenda.....

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

Whatever company you choose; ask regarding "guaranteed departure". Many companies, CIE included, cancel at the last minute if not enough guests(full bus would be 48)sometimes offering a different trip. This can be a problem/confict with your schedules...especially plane itineraries. There are plans that include airfare, so check that as well. Some low cost trips have you with connecting flights and that can also be troublesome.

Read itineraries carefully to compare costs...# of paid meals,venues and airport to hotel transfers included in price of trip. The least expensive tour is not always the best value. Look at an itinerary that offers at least 2nights/hotel to minimize stress and give you some free time in towns.

On CIE, Septre +SMI tours that we took; they bus was full with ages ranging from teens to 80s. Teens were not a problem; they had their electronics to keep them happy while on the bus;and some hotels had spa facilities. The tour we took with SMI was great, but unfortunately it is no longer in business. Septre (for us) was a budget tour; great price....most meals and venue costs not included, so not a good value. While CIE is the largest tour provider in Ireland, our experience was a negative one and I would not recommend them; altho most comments on TA are positive. They offer a wide range of itineraries that may suit your interests. My most recent trip in 2013 was the 2nd trip with Brack Tours and they get an A+ from me. There is a plethora of reputable tour companies; Globus, Trafalgar ,Paddywagon, Vagabound, Lynott, Joyce's,BMI, Cosmos, Tauk ....start doing your research and come back with questions.....we all love Ireland and love to talk about it

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

Hi

To help with your research CIE Tours have created a testimonials page where you can read what others have said about CIE Tours. Feel free to review: www.cietours.com/world/testimonials.aspx

Thanks

Emma, CIE Tours, Dublin

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

Just got back from CIE's Irish Classic Tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have never been on a tour we have enjoyed as much. Top notch all the way from hotels to tour guides. Would highly recommend this as good value for the money!!!

Kalispell, Montana...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

We're about to leave on a CIE tour, but they still haven't mailed out our travel information. They said they're behind schedule. This is quite frustrating, as it doesn't allow us any time to prepare (now under 2 weeks away from departure). If there are luggage restrictions, I'm afraid it's too late for me to make any adjustments. I booked this thing 9 months ago. They could have sent out information a long time ago if I'm supposed to do or bring something specific. Sorry, but at this point, I won't be running out the night before to buy a $100 suitcase I won't ever use again.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

Check your airline for size restrictions on luggage. you are allowed 1 carryon also.

CIE Coach tours allows 1 large bag/per guest and 1carryon.

You will need to bring your own washcloth( $store for cheap ones, then discard)

Passport, of course. Check to be sure it is not outdated;and name on passport matches air ticket.

Do not bring$100 bills,American Express or Discover credit cards. All other cards gladly accepted. Inform your credit card issuer that you will be traveling, so they don't freeze your card.

AAA club members(at least in my area) can exchange USD for Euros at no charge for the service.. The amount is whatever the exchange rate is the day of purchase. ATMs are plentiful throughout Ireland and can use debit card for cash withdrawals. Be aware when using credit cards for cash advances the fees are hefty. I'm sure other TA posters will give you helpful advice. You could also check with airline to confirm your flight arrangement

Fresno, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

We just completed a Taste of Scotland/Ireland guided tour by CIE, and it was excellent. The motor coach was comfortable with AC and bathroom, and the hotels were quite attractive. The guides were excellent - courteous and knowledgeable, and it was well organized.

Highly recommended.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

This OP is from 2013 - necro-posting by a first time poster.

10. Re: CIE tours - Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 07:18