We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

Three of us will be traveling in Ireland in March- St. Patrick's Day week. We do have two nights reserved In Dublin, but were wondering if we have to make reservations for Bed and Breakfasts ahead of time in other areas of Ireland. We have a tentative itinerary put together, but would like the flexibility of being able to change it if we decide to stay somewhere longer or proceed onto the next town. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

Hi, Outside of the cities, a lot of B&Bs close for the winter, re-opening after Easter.

I've traveled to Ireland in March. Since I was visiting the Northwest, which is kind of remote, I made arrangements before I left home. Two places that I'd e-mailed were actually closed, but told me they would put me up, since I'd notified them in advance. If I had just "shown up", they would have been "closed". One place I stayed had taken their sign down, to discourage drop-ins.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

You could do it. The advantage of booking ahead is getting a place that you have had some time to research before you leave home, the other advantage is time-saving, as you don't have to spend part of your day looking for accommodation. If you're budget is upwardlhy flexible you can always stay in a hotel, the majority of which will be open in mid march, should you have trouble finding a B&B.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

I'd wing it, up to you though.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

We had a couple of landladies who were happy to call up counterparts at our next destination. Saved a bunch of time and research on our part.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

Besides Dublin, where are you planning to visit?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

After Dublin, we are traveling to Limerick, Cliffs of Moher, plan on spending night in Adare. Then onto Dingle, spend night in Killarney, Ring of Kerry, spend night in Kenmare, do southern loop (Skibereen, Clonakilty)- spend the night somewhere in Cork, go up to Cahir and Cashel, spend the night in Killkenny, then go back up through Wicklow, Glendalaugh, Powerscourt and end up back in Dublin.

7. Re: Traveling in Ireland in March without B and B reservations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:19