We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland itinerary

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Ireland itinerary

I am in the process of planning a trip to Ireland the first couple weeks of July and wanted feedback on the itinerary I am considering. Is it doable or too rushed, or should we stay longer or shorter in any of the places? We have never been to Ireland and I want to expose my 9 and 13 year old sons to a variety of sites and experiences . Here is what I am thinking:

Day 1 -arrive in Dublin in the morning and leisure sightseeing in the afternoon. Go to bed early!

Day 2 - Dublin sightseeing

Day 3 - day trip from Dublin to Newgrange

Day 4 - day trip from Dublin to glendalough

Day 5 - drive to portrush (stay 3 nights)

Day 6 - explore giants causeway

Day 7 - explore Londonderry

Day 8 - drive from portrush to Galway city (2 nights)

Day 9 - tour clonmacnoise

Day 10 - cliffs of moher then drive to kenmare (4 nights)

Day 11 - ring of Kerry

Day 12- explore Killarney national park

Day 13 - skellig ring tour

Day 14 - drive from kenmare back to Dublin, possibly stopping at blarney castle

Day 15 - leave

One other idea I have is to only spend 3 night in Dublin but 4 nights in portrush and stop at Bru Na Boinne on the way to portrush. Is driving from Dublin to portrush and visiting newgrange too much for one day?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland itinerary

Driving from Dublin to Bru na Boinne and then on to Portrush is entirely do-able in one day. The drive from Dublin to Bru na Boinne is less than 1 hour and the drive from there to Portrush is only about 2.5 hours. Not only is this do-able, but it is something I would highly recommend doing. Just be sure to get to Bru na Boinne early in the morning for tickets as they are distributed on a first come/first serve basis. If you get there early, your wait for the tour of the tomb should not be too long and you can productively use that time seeing the exhibits in the museum. If you get there late, you'll either have a long wait for a tour or no chance of a tour at all.

Also, I've never been to Clonmacnoise, so I don't know what there is to see there. But I have been to Inishmore and it would be a really cool day trip that I'm sure your sons would enjoy. You can rent bikes for the day and see lots of cool sites like ring forts and Dun Aengus. Just something to consider for Day 9.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 03:38
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland itinerary

It looks do-able. One other thing to consider - look into getting a Heritage Card for the OPW sites, since you have several on your list. You can purchase it at the first OPW site you visit and it will get you in to all the other OPW sites free. There are individual and family options - don't know which is the best deal for you, but you could probably find that info on the OPW website, along with a list of OPW sites where you're going.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland itinerary

On day 10 try to visit the Birds of Prey centre in Aillwee caves, Ballyvaughan, Caherconnel Ringfort and Poulnabrone dolmen...all in the Burren and on your way to the cliffs.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland itinerary

You might be better to get Glendalough out of the way before heading north to Nrwgrange on your way to Portrush then Derry/Londonderry. The drive to Galway will take you most of a day and doesn't really make much sense without stopping off at a couple of places including Donegal, Westport and Connemara.

You will certainly see a lot of the road through your windshield, taking no account of the weather in your circle of Ireland. It would be cheaper to buy a few postcards instead.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 13:32
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland itinerary

have you considered killarney instead of kenmare?....while I really like kenmare there are more things to see and do in killarney with children, than in kenmare....

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland itinerary

Thanks so much everyone for all of the great feedback! Oma14, I had considered Killarney but thought kenmare might be a little easier accessing the ring of Kerry. And if we take the skellig ring tour, would it be easy to get from Killarney to where we would need for skellig ring tour?

GilMAC9, do you think we would have time to stop at the places you recommend and cliffs of moher and drive to kenmare or Killarney in the same day?

Tinley Park
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland itinerary

We were in Ireland last summer for the first time and are returning in March

We visited both Glendalough and Clonmacnoise. Glendalough is set in the mountains surrounded by natural beauty. Clonmacnoise has beautiful high crosses and standing stones but is a small complex. Of the two, I personally would chose Glendalough.

On day 9

I would consider Connemara loop if I were you. Yes it is a long day but it is something that should not be missed. Take time to stop and explore the villages along the way.

Day 10

After leaving the Cliffs, travel down the coast to Loop Head peninsula to see the light house and the Bridges of Ross. The views are spectacular and not crowded. From there catch the car ferry from Kilrush to Tarbert, saves the trip to Limerick and around.

If staying in Kenmare, you should visit and explore the Ring of Beara. Beautiful villages, coast line with crashing surf, uncrowded roads and amazing scenery at every turn.

8. Re: Ireland itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:19