We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Travel Suggestions?

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ireland Travel Suggestions?

Hi, we are currently planning our second trip to Ireland. We would like to spend definitely 4 nights in Dublin and 2 nights in Westport.

We are deciding on other cities, Galway? Limerick? Kilkenney, somewhere in Co. Clare?

Our last trip we went to Dublin, Kilkenny, Killarney, Westport and back to Dublin.

Thank you in advance for any advice, we are hoping to travel late April or May 2014.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

I like Galway, up to you though.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

What do you want to see?

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

As of now we really only have basic ideas, which is why we are looking for ideas. We hope to see Bunratty Castle, Cliffs of Mohr, a theatre show somewhere. We are planning a day trip to Belfast.

I am looking for ideas of spots to see, so we can make an educated decision on where to stay.

Give me your favorite spots!

Thank you

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

how many days will you have on the ground?......it's hard to tell someone where to go without knowing their likes and dislikes....for instance i'd never spend 4 days in Dublin as i'm not a fan of large crowded cities and prefer small villages....also like to spend as little time in the car as possible, not always doable since each trip there never seems to be enough time to get to all the places I want to....

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

We enjoy historical and small villages but are also mid 20's so want to enjoy live music and pubs.

We are planning 11 nights so 10 days currently (give or take a day).

Re: 4 in Dublin, one will be the day trip to Belfast, another the parks and zoo, hopefully Trinity college and cathedrals another day.

Westport was our favorite part of our last trip, we are planning horseback riding and hiking trails there.

So to hopefully clarify, somewhere with good music would be ideal! Historical sites are a plus (castles, jails, museums etc)

Thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

One of the highlights of our last trip to Ireland was an overnight stay on Inishmore. We took the ferry from Rossaveel, stayed the night in a B&B and then spent the entire next day self-touring by bicycle. We did cover a lot of ground, but I could easily have spent another night/day there seeing places such as The Black Fort which were not easily accessible by bicycle. Check Aran Island Ferries for specials. We did their B&B special which was a good deal for us.

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

Hi - assuming you are travelling from New Jersey you will fly to Dublin?

I would recommend an overnight in Belfast, it is truly a wonderful city and there is a lot to cover in a day. Driving from Dublin will take about 2 and half hours but once in Belfast you don't need a car. You could see what the cost of train or bus is (driving will probably cost you about €70 in fuel return). The Cathedral Quarter is an excellent choice for your evening dinner. Titanic experience and a must do open top bus tour are highly recommended. Don't forget the wonderful Queens pub.

Limerick is our City of Culture in 2014 so there is much to see and do - particularly a visit to St John's Castle and neighboring museum (http://limerickcityofculture.ie/) You could easily do a good itinerary in just over a half day and then spent the other half day at Bunratty Castle (there is good options on accommodations including excellent B&B in the area - you may even want to do the medieval banquet that night - good fun.

Cliffs of Moher are a must and weather permitting, with hiking boots, you could walk to or from Doolin (a must is a pint and a bowl of sea food chowder in O'Connors pub in Doolin). You could then head on about 25 mins to Lahinch and try some body surfing - nice spot to stay over for a night. This area as your research will show is the Burren so you would really enjoy - check out the caves at Ailwee or Doolin. An excellent tea room with mouth watering cakes is the tea rooms in Ballyvaughan - on the coastal route easy to find on the maps.

In Dublin - one of the more popular theaters right now is Bord Gais Energy Theater but depending on what your interests are you could also see what is playing at The Abbey, The Gaiety just to name a few.

Anyway hope this gives you a little insight into the vast possibilities.

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

Thank you very much for the response. Yes we would be flying into Dublin.

I am looking into all your suggestions and look forward to visiting them!

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

Here is our proposed idea...any suggestions are appreciated!

Fly into Dublin

Bus from Dublin to Belfast 1-2 nights

Bus back to Dublin 3 nights in Dublin

Pick up car

Drive to Limerick 1-2 nights

Drive to Galway 1-2 nights

Drive to Westport 2 nights

Return to Dublin final night

Fly out of Dublin

For the locations we have 1 or 2 nights please suggest which we should cut to 1 ( I am thinking maybe Belfast? There we mainly want to see Giants Causeway and the Titanic Museum)

Thank you

10. Re: Ireland Travel Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 07:18