We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

nj
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

We want to have a cell phone with us in Ireland, both for calling the US and phoning within Ireland.

There seem to be dozens of options!

If you have rented or purchased a cell phone for use in Ireland, I would love to hear your comments.

Thank you!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

Hi

If your own cell phone is GSM/PCS which works on 900/1800 then it should work OK outside the US. Just contact your provider there to ensure it is set up for roaming. Also ask them which networks in Ireland are cheapest for your to use as they may have deals with particular providers here, and ask them how to manually select the cheaper network if you don't know how to do this.

If you expect to receive a lot of calls, and don't mind giving your callers an Irish number to reach you, then you could buy an Irish SIM card when you get here, and slot it in. Your phone wil then have an Irish number but you won't be charged to receive calls. You can buy prepaid SIM cards for about €15-25 from mobile phone stores, such as O2. They have some call credit already loaded so you are effectively paying only a few euro. Before you do this contact your provider there to ensure that the handset its not 'locked' to your own network.

If your own phone operates only on the US standards then you can buy a prepaid phone here from about €59. Meteor seems to have the cheapest handsets but they doen;t have so many stores; the other operators are O2, Vodafone and 3. You can do some research by looking at their websites: www.meteor.ie www.o2.ie www.vodafone.ie www.3ireland.ie but most will only ship a phone to addresses in Ireland so you'll have to wait till you get here to buy. The 2 smaller companies (3 and Meteor) have aggreements with the 2 larger networks so all 4 operators have almost nationwide coverage.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
111 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

Forgot to add that I am not aware of any compnay in Ireland who rents out mobile phones these days: I guess everyone has their own and they are so cheap to purchase that there is no longer a market.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
176 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

I just returned from 2 weeks in Ireland and rented a phone from a local company. Check out www.rentaphone-ireland.com.

It just seemed easier to me than figuring out how to make my phone work. The phone was waiting for me at the car hire desk in Shannon and they included a padded envelope to mail back at end of the trip. The phone worked for all calls in Ireland and then you could buy a long distance card for outside Ireland and you could receive calls from outside Ireland without a charge. My husband called me almost every day from Seattle and it worked out great. It might not be the cheapest way to go, but it was simple and worked out perfectly for me.

Niall Huges has the business and he owns or runs Seaview B & B in Doolin.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

I rented a phone from international cellular services three weeks ago to use while in Ireland. They send it to you before you leave, and they send you a prepaid return UPS pack so you can easily return it when you get back. Calls to me in Ireland from the US were free, calls withing Ireland were free, and I paid for calls made to the US from Ireland. It worked perfectly. It was very helpful in calling ahead to the different places we were staying and letting them know when we would be arriving, and getting directions to places we could not get before we left.

Wesite is internationalcellular.com.

Paul G.

5. Re: renting or buying a cell phone for use in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 15:16