We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Ireland

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
241 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
first time to Ireland

planning 10 day trip

best month/time to travel

best airlines, departure cities in USA

any help appreciated

Lowell...
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to Ireland

What is your budget? The answers to your questions depend heavily on your budget.

July and August are considered "high season" when most people travel and prices (both for flights and accommodations) increase. I've heard that May, June, and September are still great times to travel, even better if only because they're outside of "peak" while still offering warmer weather and longer days.

For me, personally, the best airline/departure city was Aer Lingus out of Boston: cheapest rate at a nearby airport and it was a nonstop flight, both of which I look for in my idea of "best airline and departure city".

What are some of your interests (i.e. what made you choose Ireland)?

Something else to consider, how do you want to get around while you're in Ireland? Are flexibility and the ability to get out into the countryside important (i.e. hiring a vehicle and driving yourself), or are you okay with following bus/train schedules and doing day trips from more central locations?

Take a look at the "Top Questions About Ireland) links to the right for more help, too.

Hope this helps get you started! I'm going over for the first time this June, and these questions have helped in my own planning.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 21:42
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to Ireland

I like the long days in May. Usually good rates to/from Boston.

www.aerlingus.com/

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
241 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to Ireland

thank you all for the replies.......narrowing times done to last of May or June almost certainly on aerlingus

thanks again

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to Ireland

for me, may is the best month....the airline rates are less, car rental, and accommodations too...I buy from the airline/website that gives me the best price....not high season yet but all tourist sites, b&bs, and eateries are open.....also, the wild flowers are in gorgeous bloom and the daylight hours are nice and long.....

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to Ireland

I'll second May as my favourite time to visit Ireland, particularly because of all the beautiful spring flowers - it's a great time to be out walking through the countryside. Here's one of my favourite areas for scenery, walking etc :

http://www.burrenbeo.com/

http://www.burreninbloom.com/

You need to consider whether you'll be renting a car to explore, or using public transport or taking a tour. My choice would be car rental as it gives you so much freedom to explore off the beaten track.

Have a look at the "top questions" on the right-hand side, and read a few trip reports listed under "fly-drive itineraries". They'll give you a good idea what can be achieved in your time-frame.

:-)

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to Ireland

walkerstoo

Aer Lingus has a direct flight from Chicago Ohare to Dublin. Great airline.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
153 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to Ireland

how is early march ?? for rates and weather ?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to Ireland

walkerstoo, your best departure city would likely be Chicago O'Hare (they have direct flights to Dublin), but you can fly out of anywhere. I believe when I was looking up flights, the cities with the most direct flights were from Chicago, NY and Boston. But you can obviously get there from anywhere! Go with what airport is most convenient for you. We flew American Airlines and it was an older plane, but great service and actually pretty great meals.

We went in September, considered "non-peak season" and it was still beautiful. They say any time is a good time to travel to Ireland, but keep in mind some attractions close earlier in winter/spring, and there is also less daylight for sightseeing. But prices will be much more reasonable. If you do decide to travel during winter, remember you're more likely to encounter plane delays due to weather, which is never fun.

This isn't for everyone, but we went with a tour group and it was absolutely fantastic. If you're completely at a loss of what to do and want to leave the planning to someone else, I'd say that's the way to go. There were a wide variety of ages in our tour group and we all got along very well. If you're interested in my trip review (or maybe even get ideas of what you want to do), it's posted here: tripadvisor.com/…52898191

Have fun planning!

Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to Ireland

It sounds like you visited on your own as opposed to a guided tour. Do you recommend that over all the guided tours? If so, can I have a few tips, please. Thank you.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 22:00
10. Re: first time to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:16