We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

We would love to hear some ideas on where to add one more night to our trip. We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon in April. Here is our itinerary so far;

1st night -Dublin

2nd night-Kilkenny

3rd & 4th night Dingle

5th night open

6th & 7th night -Ennis

I haven't booked any rooms, so we are very flexible. This is our first trip and albeit short, we hope to experience the beautiful countryside and historical sites. Of course, we've heard it doesn't matter where you go, it's the Irish people that make the trip memorable. Thanks in advance for all you help.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

Is one night in Dublin enough? I appreciate that you might not be all that interested in cities, but if you land in early morning in Dublin and you want to see some of the main sights, you may be too tired to do too much on day 1, and therefore I would suggest a second night in Dublin, pick up your car early morning day 3 (you do not need a car for getting around Dublin city) and head off to Kilkenny.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

You could do this :

Day 2 : collect rental car, and drive via Powerscourt Gardens and Glendalough to Kilkenny. This will take up the whole day :

powerscourt.ie/powerscourt-gardens/italian-g…

heritageireland.ie/en/…

wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/Glendalough.…

Day 3 : explore Kilkenny city and possibly drive south to visit Jerpoint Abbey, Kells Priory (if such places interest you?):

kilkennytourism.ie/eng/…

heritageireland.ie/en/…

megalithicireland.com/…20Kilkenny.html

Overnight in Kilkenny.

Or :

Day 2 : Kilkenny

Day 3 : Kilkenny - Rock of Cashel - Killarney

allow 3.5hrs for the drive, and 1.5-2hrs for Cashel. You should have a couple of hours free in the afternoon in Kilkenny to visit Muckross House & Gardens - the walk to Torc Waterfall is very pleasant; or visit Ross Castle :

heritageireland.ie/en/…

heritageireland.ie/en/South-West/RossCastle/

http://www.muckross-house.ie/

Overnight Killarney.

Continue with your itinerary as above.

:-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

I would also add a night in Killarney between Kilkenny and Dingle -- that's a long drive and you won't otherwise have time to see things along the way (Rock of Cashel, Killarney National Park).

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,993 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

I like Ennis am a big fan of Ennis .. But 2 nights there could be too much on a 7 night plan, unless you plan on more than just the usual Cliffs of Moher/Burren day in Clare? 2 nights in Dingle would be too much on a 7 night plan, a small peninsula which can be explored on a drive from Killarney to Ennis?. Consider Killarney as better 2 night touring base by taking a night from each or the spare night and one from Dingle.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,999 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

Another vote for Killarney.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

It HAS to be Killarney for night 5. It's not just about Killarney town itself (of which I am a fan), but more about what is to see in the area such as Muckross House, Gardens, Lakes and waterfall. The drive from Killarney to Kenmare via Molls Gap. Gap of Dunloe (has to be one of the most scenic spots in the country), and those views of the mountains. Don't miss Killarney.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

Thank you all so much for all of the suggestions. We will certainly add Killarney in for a 2 night stop and adjust our nights in Dingle and Ennis. I think we will also stay another night in Dublin, so that we are able to see all of the sites and be well rested for the rest of our trip. Thanks for the suggestion on the Rock of Cashel, we don't want to miss that either.

Thank you once again, I feel so much better now and excited about the trip. TA-Ireland is amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

There is a huge choice of accommodation in Killarney from Hostel right up to 5 star hotel. Choose your accommodation well, as this will have an impact on your stay. Ask for advice here before you choose.

9. Re: We have one open night in our trip, suggestions welcome!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19