We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Hello Everyone :)

I've been searching the forums, reading everything I can about rental cars. I've also been on all the rental car websites I can find, in hopes of trying to figure out how much I truly can expect to pay for a rental car. I would like to get a credit card that covers the insurance, but it seems that can be very tricky.

For everyone who has rented a car in Ireland, I would love to hear your advice, tips and tricks, at affording a car. I will be in Ireland for 13 days, but plan to have the car for 11 days. We are staying in city center area. Is it worth the expense to take the bus back to the Dublin airport to rent the car, or should we just get it from the city center location? We will be dropping it off in Shannon. Would you say reserving beforehand is a must? We need an automatic, I'm considering not renting the GPS, so as to save money.

At this point it looks like the basic fee to rent the car is at least 367 Euro, ($500) and that doesn't seem to include the super CDW insurance I keep reading about. And then there is gas! If you have insight into how much the car actually costed you, when all was said and done, that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much in advance, and I look forward this discussion :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

We use Enterprise & have gotten good rates in the past. Have rented from airport & from the agencies in the city if we are staying over in Dublin before heading south. Check a few locations as the rates at the different locations tend to vary, You will pay a premium if you need an automatic rather than a manual (sometimes almost double). There are credit cards in the US that will cover CDW--you need to check with your card company to make sure. You need to decline the CDW and charge the whole rental amount to the card.

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

We're going in June, and from what I've seen and understand (and please, if I'm wrong, I would love to be corrected) if CDW is waived because your CC covers it, they still require a 2000 Euro deposit.

As said above, if that's not correct, please show me wrong.

Jamie

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Jamie,

I would highly recommend that you make spreadsheet of the different places you check and make certain you are comparing apples to apples (yes, I do this). Each company will have different prices they charge for things such as SCDW per day, additional drivers per day, airport or city center locations and you need to keep track of it all.

If it helps: We rented from Budget for a 14 days Full Size Automatic 4 Door - e.g. Ford Mondeo (auto) or similar, unlimited miles, 1 additional driver (9.5 per day + 13.5% VAT), Super CDW level 7 car (16.50 per day+ 13.5% VAT), €28 Dublin airport fee and 13.5% VAT (pick up at DUB and drop off in Galway Eyre Square) and our total price was € 1,208.90 in Sept/Oct 2011.

If you waive SCDW insurance, a hold will be placed on your credit card (I have seen some postings about it being as high as the replacement cost of the car, but typically closer to 1200-2000 Euros). Now, if something happens to the car while in your possession, the hire company will take what it wants (I say wants because you are at their mercy) to fix it and then you are left to get the money back from your credit card company's insurance. For 16.50 per day, that kind of hassle just isn't worth it to us so we pay the SCDW. We like knowing that anything that happens to the car while we have it is taken care of. On both trips to Ireland thus far there have been issues, including a couple of knocks while in car parks while we were not around...and we have lost one side view mirror thanks to DH. :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,897 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

beware of your supposed cc insurance. this is not always acceptable in Ireland, and many seem to have trouble with insurance. if you are risking it, make sure that you bring an indemnity confirmation from your cc insurers. this will still exclude scdw to cover the hold of around 2000€. however, the rental company willoffer you this cover when you pick up your car. cost could be around 17-20€ per day.

I would certainly recommend that you take out both cdw and scdw with the rental company. that way you will not be caught out!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,281 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Some further information here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

Both of these get good feedback for all-inclusive prices:

http://easytourireland.com

http://www.dandooley.com

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Thank you everyone. I still keep researching this all day long! I got in touch with priceline.com, because they offer the additional insurance right at checkout, so I was trying to get a straight answer as to wether or not I will be charged any additional fees when I arrive at a rental counter. They basically said I wouldn't get additional fees, but still, they were vague.

JerryFan, I will look into Enterprise, as you suggested. Boy, it's a bummer that automatic is such a big difference in price!

Akandal: Great detail you've shared too. Did you reserve your car before your trip, directly with budget? Did you use the U.S website or the budget.ie website? If you used a website, were the taxes charged up front, or once you were in Ireland?

Nakagoli: I've looked into the credit card insurance, but I suppose in the end, it's too big of a headache, and there are too many loopholes where one can end up owing.

Uasal: Thank you for the links :) The trip advisor link has many great reminders & details on it.

If anyone has further experiences to share, and stories of where they rented their car, I'd be much obliged :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

drmstr, I sense your frustration and confusion. Believe me, I've been there.

Let's face it. To rent a car in Ireland -- and do it right (Super CDW, likely an automatic transmission) -- is NOT cheap. It will be one of the biggest line items of your trip.

On my recent trip to Ireland (late Sept./early Oct. 2013), I rented my Hertz vehicle through Easy Tour Ireland. I was pleased and impressed. Their estimate was very clear, easy to understand, and my final cost at the end of our 10-day rental was only 5 euro over the estimate (due to tolls).

http://easytourireland.com/

Whatever you decide, go and enjoy!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 04:40
Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

Well. let's be honest, the reason it is so expensive is because there are so many fender-benders & more. It is a tough drive. And how many innocent mirrors have been shaved off by those seemingly innocent bushes on the side of the road that turn out to be stone walls?

I agree the safest course is to buy the extra coverage from the rental company, but my husband will go to great lengths to avoid fees such as SCDW so we have gone the credit card route.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

drmstr, I have rented directly with Budget for both of our trips, prior to the trip. I used their .ie website as it gave better pricing than the .com version (you should check both, but note that the .com website is not as easy to ascertain all of the extras that you will need to pay nor are the car inventories the same) . Nothing was charged up front when I did the reservation, the compete charge was put on my card at the time of car pick up and it matched what I had detailed except there was a hold put for petrol in case I did not return it full (which I did and that was put back on my card when I returned the car).

It is HIGHLY recommended that you book directly through a car hire company rather than a third party (such as Priceline). If anything were to go wrong, you will then deal directly with the company from which you hired instead of through a third party (which can get extremely convoluted).

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Rental Car? Advice or Experience Appreciated

800 331 9301 this is dooley car rental's telephone number....you might give them a call...I've used them numerous times and have never had any surprises at pick up or drop off....talk with Doreen and tell her your requirements....you can prepay for everything before you leave....also, if you request it you can pay your fuel deposit then too.....then bring the car back full and when you get home call Doreen back and she will credit the deposit back to your card....

unless you have 2000-3000 euro ($2717.31-$4,075.83 today's rate) on your credit card, I highly recommend you buy the insurances....as was stated an automatic will make the cost pretty high.....