We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family trip to Ireland

atlanta
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First family trip to Ireland

planning a family trip (mom, dad, two 19 yr old daughters) to ireland and possibly london this summer when girls are home from college. any suggestions on where to go, what to do, and where to stay - would like trip to be adventurous and not just visiting historical sites

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First family trip to Ireland

Your questions are a bit too broad... You are probably better off just reading a few guidebooks and coming back on here to ask more specific questions. Narrow down what areas you want to travel to, how long you're going for, what types of things the family likes to do together ("adventurous" is probably not specific enough - my trip to Ireland was full of historical sites and touristy locales, but I had the biggest adventure of my life!). Also look at the FAQs posted to the right of this topic. Might I suggest "Ireland for Dummies" - by far my favorite book when I was researching my trip, and a very fast read - it helped me narrow down what I wanted to do.

Or, do what I did and look into some tour groups. You can even just look up tour groups' itineraries to see what kinds of things they are doing and base your itinerary off those things.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First family trip to Ireland

Some questions to help kick start a great itinerary:

[1] Where will I fly into / out of?

(This will determine where you can easily visit. It also dictates what your route should be)

[2] What month will I be in Ireland?

(June, July and August are peak visitor months. Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. have least daylight hours, but are great from the point of view that they are less busy. Many B&B’s close for the winter)

[3] Will I hire a car?

(This will determine what you can visit and how independent you will be)

[4] Are there any places that I must see?

(This might make your itinerary more complicated)

[5] How many actual tour days do I have? (excluding arrival and departure days)

(It’s best you don’t include arrival and departure dates in your itinerary especially if you have made a long journey. Arrival and departure days are usually ‘non days’ as most of your time is spent, packing and checking in at airport/ferry)

[6] What are my main interests? (eating, drinking, shopping, walking, history, geography, outdoor)

(Some parts of the country are particularly good for certain activities)

[7] What kind of accommodation will I stay in (Hostel, B&B, Guesthouse, Hotel)

(Hostels are cheapest while 4 and 5 star hotels are the most expensive. Where you stay depends on your budget. Sometimes you do not have a choice)

[8] How many are in the group?

(This will impact your transport options, and lead to arguments if the itinerary does not appeal to everyone)

[9] Will there be children travelling with me?

(With kids travelling with you, you will have to be more flexible about what you include in your itinerary)

[10] How energietic am I? (Can I do a lot of walking or prefer motorised transport)

(If you are an energetic person you will find that walking is a wonderful way to see Ireland properly. Some sights require that you get out of the car and walk)

[11] Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations?

(If you do not like cities, then consider excluding the large Irish cities from your itinerary. These include, Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Belfast, Galway, etc)

[12] Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday?

(If you want to really shop, then you should include a major city or two on your itinerary)

[13] Do I want to visit the main tourist sights, or go ‘off track’?

(Because of the size of this county the main tourist sights are very busy in the summer months. Be aware in low season that these same sights might be closed)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First family trip to Ireland

For the interests you have stated, I recommend reading the Rough Guide to Ireland and Lonely Planet Ireland guidebooks. They will include the historical sites, but will also have information on more "adventurous" activities.

4. Re: First family trip to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18