We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Ireland to UK

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Ireland to UK

I've been combing the forums in hopes of not retreading on a topic that may have already been discussed but I could not find anything that pertains to my question which is this: What is the smartest way to get from Ireland to the UK to France.

There are 2 of us and we have an extensive trip planned that will last for just over 90 days. We are flying in and out of Dublin and plan to purchase 3 month consecutive day Eurail passes. Now I know that there are no Eurail lines in the UK so does that leave us with taking a ferry from Ireland to the UK and then another from the UK to France?

I know there are certain discounts available if you hold a validate Eurail pass.

Will this be the cheapest option?

Any reply is appreciated! Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

You can fly directly from Ireland to France and it could work out more economical. It would certainly save a lot of time.

Check out www.aerlingus.com www.ryanair.com

Alternatively fly to the UK and take the eurostar to Paris or Lille. If you book in advance with the Eurostar you can get cheaper tickets.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

We are actually flying in on Aer Lingus. We were wanting to make the UK one of our stops. I guess the question would be wether it's more appropriate to visit at the beginning of the trip or towards the end if it's more economical to fly from Dublin to France.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

You can buy a ticket from Dublin (or any Irish Station) to London Euston. costs around €40 (from Dublin) and I through experience opt for Stena Line. From London Euston get the underground to London St Pancras International for the Eurostar.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

Probably a combination of air and sea might be your solution. You can easily fly from Dublin to Gatwick (London) airport and then take a train to Portsmouth Harbour for the ferry to France.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

You are not being specific, where in Ireland to where in the UK do you want to go? There are literally hundreds of flights a day between Ireland and the UK or France. Where do you want to go? What do you want to see?

Ireland
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

Irish Ferries offer 30% off for holders of Eurail and Interail passes.

They operate virtually all year Rosslare-Cherbourg from where there are regular trains to Paris taking circa 3 hours. Connections elsewhere are also possible.

They also operate a seasonal (Summer time) route Rosslare to Roscoff.

irishferries.com/ie-en/faq/rail-travel-cards/

Hope this may be of some help and that you have an enjoyable holiday.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,942 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

Best you figure out an itinerary before thinking about travel options.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

Apologies for not being more specific. We are working on the itinerary (why I was curious about the travel options between the 3 countries). Specifically I was curious about travel from Dublin to London to Paris. It's our first time traveling abroad and was just looking for some insight.

I do appreciate everyone for posting! Definitely leaving with more info then I came in with. Thank you for your time

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

Go to www.irishferries.com/ie-en/offers/sail-rail1/

There you can buy a combined ferry & train ticket from Dublin Port to London Euston for a fixed-price €49.

Yes, that covers both the ferry and the train! You can collect tickets from the Irish Ferries desk at Dublin Port.

I recommend the 08:05 ship sailing, that's the lovely ship Ulysses, a real cruise ferry. You can add the VIP Club lounge for an extra €18. A connecting train from Holyhead reaches London Euston at 16:38, all on the same one ticket for that same €49 price.

It's a scenic and historic journey too, over the famous Britannia bridge, past Conway Castle and along the North Wales coast. The route of the famous Irish Mail!

London to Paris from £39 www.eurostar.com

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Ireland to UK

There are plenty of alternatives, however it depends on how much time you wish to spend traveling between Dublin-London-Paris. The journey between Dublin and London by ferry and rail will take a full day and will cost you a lot more than a one hour flight from Dublin to London would cost. If you are watching your budget you should bear this in mind.