We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny to Killarney

New Jersey
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny to Killarney

I plan to travel from Kilkenny to Killarney by car. I would like to stop in Adare and also see the Rock of Cashel. I am interested in quaint towns with good food and shopping. Are there any other towns between Kilkenny and Killarney that would fit that category?

Also, approximately how long should I expect my trip from Kilkenney to Killarney take with stops in Adare and the Rock of Cashel?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny to Killarney

Kilkenny to Killarney won't take you remotely near Adare.

You can divert via Cashel and its not a big diversion. This route will take over 3 hours.

If you were to go via Adare it would add on about half an hour.

www.routes.aaireland.ie

In terms of "quaint towns with good food and shopping" I'm really not sure. It really depends on what you want to shop for!! If you were to skip Adare, Buttevant is a lovely town that we always say we will stop in but don't. Harvey knows Buttevant very well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttevant

London, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny to Killarney

i drove a slightly shorter distance, from Mallow to Mountrath in the summer - but similar, non motorway, taking it easy and finding our way and we had lunch in Tipperary which I would not particularly recommend, sorry, but with two or three other stops taking out about two hours plus lunch of one hour we took from 10.00 to about 5.00. Cashel will take one to two hours so I think you will have to keep moving. My hunch is the best is in the west on this journey.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny to Killarney

We left Kilkenny after breakfast, toured Rock of Cashel, went on to Cahir (walked to the Swiss Cottage) and then drove on to Killarney. Arrived there about 4:30-5. Cahir to Killarney was about 2 hours as I recall. Then we got very lost trying to find Friar's Glen!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny to Killarney

Buttevant is an old walled town with enough history and ruins to see you through for a fortnight. If you plan on going that way, let me know and I can give you ideas and directions.

5. Re: Kilkenny to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18