We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worldwide Insure?

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Worldwide Insure?

Just curious if anyone has used these guys to cover your excess insurance for a car hire?

Seems to be one of the very few that covers US residents, so wondering if anyone has a good/bad experience with them?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,217 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worldwide Insure?

I think you'll find a few here that cover US residents. But well worth asking how reliable the various companies are! moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-ins…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worldwide Insure?

be very cautious about third party insurance and the fact that if you have it you'll have a very large hold put on your credit card (2000-3000 euro) by the rental company, at pick up, until the car is returned undamaged.....if there is an incident/accident the rental company with keep all or part of that deposit and you'll have to collect with the outside company after you return home to get your money back....

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worldwide Insure?

I used them to cover the excess for a trip to Iceland last October--as the excess was pretty high. It is not very expensive. But, I did not need to make a claim. There was a post from someone on the Iceland forum that they were making a claim, so you might want to do a search and then send a message to the poster to find out how it turned out. My recollection from renting a car in Ireland in 2008 was that you could get excess coverage from the rental company. It might be more expensive than worldwide, but is less hassle.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worldwide Insure?

I used Worldwideinsure for the first time this past Feb and Mar 2014 for a trip to Australia and New Zealand. Previously I used another but they stopped insuring US residents like you mentioned. I purchased there Plus plan for excess insurance. I had 3 different rentals. The last day of a rental the windshield was hit with a rock and cracked top to bottom. I had to pay the rental company upfront, but new all along that would be the case if damages occurred. Worldwide contract stated I must notify them by phone within 31 days. I emailed them asking if the email was sufficient enough to start the claim process. Auto response stating they would respond within 3 business days. I waited 7 business days before I emailed again and the following day received a response with claim forms attached. We still had another month of traveling before getting home so there email with claim forms was very important. Filled out forms upon arriving home at the end of Mar and by Apr 29 they had notified me that claim had been approved and payment would follow upon my bank routing info. The money was deposited about 7 days later. Worldwide was extremely helpful and responded in a timely fashion to emails sent by me during the claim process posing questions.

5. Re: Worldwide Insure?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16