We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

Seattle
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

I've learned not to plan a trip without consulting my tripadvisor friends! We will be in Ireland for 6-7 days at the end of June 2014 (depending on how this itinerary pans out, I will then book our flights). I'm currently planning on renting a car. I would appreciate your input on the following itinerary:

Day 1: Dublin

Day 2: Newgrange

Day 3: Waterford Castle- explore amenities here.

Day 4: Waterford Castle - any other ideas for things to do in this area?

Day 5: drive to Killarney by way of the Ring of Kerry.

Day 6: drive to Dingle then back to Killarney

Day 7: drive to Shannon by way of Rock of Cashel

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

Day 5 ,Waterford to Killarney via the Ring is not really do-able. Waterford Castle is on a TINY island in the middle of the river, so I presume you mean on the mainland? What kind of things interest you? We can help more if we have a rough idea.

Killarney to Shannon via Cashel is a bit out of your way. I'd leave Waterford and go to Cashel, overnight there and visit the Rock as soon as it opens. It can get very crowded later in the day. You could then get as far as Killarney and overnight there, that would mean you could get up really early to drive the Ring (ie get out ahead of the tour buses!)

Seattle
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

Thanks for your questions. My 10 year old says she likes 'haunted things'. We like to take in the notable sites of places we visit. We typically go on some kind of a hike or nature walk. I would say that I'd like to just experience a great Irish town...a place we can walk around and see interesting things and have good food and drink.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

In Dublin take the Dart train out to Malahide Castle - you could do a hike and get to vsit the Castle which is supposed to be haunted....every time we go to the playground there my kids are convinced they see ghosts looking out the window of the castle at them ;-)

malahideheritage.com/…CastleGhosts

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

Plenty haunted places to be found in Ireland! Loftus Hall in Wexford is reputed to be visited by the Devil. Doneraile Court in North Cork is haunted by the devil and by the ghost of a lord St. Ledger smothered to save the family honour when he went mad from rabies.The death coach was also said to visit the court

That place would tie in well with your trip from Cashel to Killarney.

corkpastandpresent.ie/places/…gw3_44_52.pdf

5. Re: Ireland Itinerary with 10 and 12 year olds kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:19