We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Trip

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Topic
Planning Trip

I realize that this is a broad topic, but it would like use the posters to this board to help me start my planning. My wife and I have never travelled to the UK and are planning to go to Ireland for a week in July. Plan to fly into Dublin, and then rent a car to get to wherever destinations we choose. Would like to be able to find some places to stay in towns where we could leave the car parked at the lodging and then walk out to local pubs and restaraunts. Perhaps stay in each place one or two nights. Maybe even play a round or two of golf, preferably on a course that looks out over the sea. Would like to find some smaller, friendly places, rather than large cities. We are late 40's, would prefer a few beers and Irish whiskey at a friendly pub rather than going out to a nightclub. Any suggestions for places to stay, particular towns or villages to visit, along with good pubs and restaraunts to try would be much appreciated. I can then research the ideas any of you give me and narrow things down. Thank you in advance.

1. Re: Planning Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 00:28
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Trip

Actually six counTIEs of Ireland are in the UK!! There will be no problem hiring a car in Dublin (the Republic) and driving all over the island but be aware that you will need two currencies, euro for the Republic and GBP for the UK bit.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 07:24
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Trip

To get any useful answers you really need to narrow your questions a bit. Have a look at the 'questions' on the right of the screen and also decide which part of the island you want to concentrate on. You will only do a limited number of places in 8 days staying a couple of nights in each place (which is a great idea), and it would be better to decide on north or south, east or west. There are loads of places which fill your preferences, and we all have our favourites, it would just be more confusing for you to have a list of options all over the country.

Really only Dublin would be considered a large city, Limerick and Cork are a good size but not huge compared with other countries. Everywhere else is manageable, and many of the places to visit are outside the cities.

4. Re: Planning Trip

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 00:28
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,398 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Trip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACOlry6zgWg

That out of the way...

As #3 a lot will depend on how long you have, Time of year, your wish list of places,, and your inbound and outbound airports. Bryno has a long standing question list which might help initial planning, Golf, pubs and small non tourist towns are to be found all over the island so you might have some other factors to consider.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Trip

Thank you all for the clarification that Ireland is not part of the UK and that I can do my research elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions regarding friendly coastal towns to visit, that information would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,398 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Trip

Having read the original question rather than the bickering about NvS,, You have a week in July start and end in Dublin.. that would make things a little tight or limited.. Possibly Dublin + 1 more location..

I would suggest either Galway or Killarney as Touring base's either with a car or get there by public transport and take local tours.. smaller places would mean having a car but I would still stay within range of these places as hubs.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Trip

I would fly into Dublin and out of Shannon (or vice versa). I don't know how the car rental rules work, but I'd assume you could rent a car one place and drop it off at another. This will save you a lot of time driving-wise, since you only have 7 days. When I was researching my trip, the cost of flying in to one city and out another really wasn't much more than a round-trip ticket in and out of Dublin. And don't overlook how jet lag will affect you -- I'm only in my 30s and flew in from Chicago... and could barely keep my eyes open past 6pm on that first day. Just keep that in mind. Oh, and also - you don't need a car in Dublin (which maybe you knew). It's more of a headache than it's worth (not to mention expensive to park.) So rent the car once you leave Dublin. You can basically walk the city, or take the wonderful Hop On, Hop Off bus tours, which are probably ideal for your short time frame.

As for my suggestions, I absolutely loved the town of Westport. We stayed at the Knockranny House Hotel (whereupon I left a review if you're interested). I can't say enough good things about the people, the food, the shops and the pubs of Westport. I highly recommend it. You can also park at the Knockranny and walk into town. Of course, I hear the B&B experience is also really fun. It just depends on what type of lodging experience you are looking for.

The place I found to be the most beautiful was the Dingle Peninsula. It was breathtaking. Achill Island in County Mayo was a close second.

These are all just my personal opinions of course - because as you said, your post was quite broad. I always recommend reading a few books first because all the online information can get overwhelming. (Silly as it sounds, "Ireland for Dummies" was my favorite - to-the-point and a fast read.) Narrow down some places you think you will want to see after doing a bit of research, and then we can all help you with more specific questions. Ireland is just ALL so beautiful, that it's really hard for us to just tell you where to go. Anywhere you pick will be the right choice - trust me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Trip

Thank you Happy Traveller and Tony2. That really helps me get started. It does seem that I may need to add a couple of nights if we are going to try to get around to three different places. Thanks again, I will start with your suggestions and expand from there.

10. Re: Planning Trip

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19