We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car for 5 people

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
rental car for 5 people

Trying to find the right rental car size is driving me crazy! The are 5 of us - no where near petite - plus 5 carry on sized bags. Will be driving for 2 weeks so will be spending alot of time in the car usually with all the bags. What should I get?

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: rental car for 5 people

I don't know where the OP is located but I tried to think of any state in the US that doesn't have a cliff of one kind or another. The only one I could come up with is Florida.

Here's a piece of unsolicited advice. When you're on a very narrow road and a vehicle is coming toward you don't panic. Just slow down, or even stop, if there's no one behind you. Stopping, ONLY if it's safe to do so, will allow the other vehicle to see where you are and let them pass you safely. Obviously this is only applicable to the local roads and not the A or M roads.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 13:01
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,860 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: rental car for 5 people

On the note of slowing and pulling in when on small "L" designated bohreens ,, Remember that at home you pull into the passenger side.. You do the same in Ireland, I have had a couple of narrow escapes with rental cars pulling into the passing point on their drivers side. Bear in mind a lot of our local lanes are under the 12ft guide line and not regular routes. Locals will usually pull in for a strange car coming towards them, we know where is and isn't a good place.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: rental car for 5 people

L0L Tony 2 phones -I'm actually looking forward to the sheep -right or wrong that is the classic American image of rural Ireland! And I've lived in Chicago so I'm good with the crazy cab drivers. I was just concerned about cliffs and somewhere I read about "sky drives" - I have a fear of Heights and vertigo. But I'm not the driver so I can just close my eyes ;-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,860 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: rental car for 5 people

There is the "Sky Road" drive outside Clifden which is a little narrow but nothing to be worried about as there is no Cliff involved,, Now getting up to the top car park on the Slieve League is a different animal and to be fair Christina wouldn't drive up there.. a couple of routes on Achill are a bit close to the edge and some roads on Beara are narrow steep and winding. So there you are I have put you off by listing a mere nanometre of Irish roads. ;-)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: rental car for 5 people

Tony2phones-You've made me very happy - none of those places are on our itinerary! We're driving from Dublin thru Kilkenny and Cashel to Cork/Kinsale. Then from there to Dingle, passing thru Killarney. After Dingle we plan to stay a couple of days in Galway area and a couple of days in County Clare area, then flying home from Shannon

Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: rental car for 5 people

After keeping up with all the posts my DH has changed our rental vehicle from the opal insignia to the opal Astra. I'm insisting that everyone lose 10 pounds. We are a short crew with no one over 5'10 thus leaving leg room. I've printed out a list of what to pack basics and it is really basic. If purchases are made whilst in Ireland then we will simply leave our clothes behind. Happy travels. Wave to us from the road!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: rental car for 5 people

Lol squirrellymom. We are 5 middle aged women so of course we are all trying to lose 10 pounds! And I think I finally convinced them each to keep their baggage down to 1 carry on sized bag and a big purse! Reminding them that they may need to carry their luggage up 1 or 2 flights of stairs helped!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,860 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: rental car for 5 people

I am sure the 3" overall including mirrors difference in width will make all the difference in the world SM.

If you are in Galway and venture onto the Connemara the Sky Rd is a nice way to waste 1/2 a hour BD.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: rental car for 5 people

T2p - we do plan on visiting Connemara. I can't imagine going to Ireland and not.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
69 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: rental car for 5 people

T2P-on another note .. We are planning on 3 days in the Galway area and 3 in County Clare (close to the airport in shannon) do you have any suggestions on good areas to stay?