We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Form of money to bring?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Form of money to bring?

Growing up, we always traveled with traveler's cheques. The last time I was in Europe, Germany, 6 years ago, we brought traveler's cheques and it was not very convenient to cash them in. We spent quite a bit of time, looking for banks/locations to cash them at. I like the insurance about traveler's cheques. Are they convenient to cash in Ireland or would you recommend just traveling with credit/debit cards and some Euros? Thanks for your advice.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Form of money to bring?

Don't bring travelers cheques, these days they are a liability. Bring your cards; plus a few euros if you wish, but there will be a cash machine at the airport. You can pay for most things with your cards, some b&bs and small purchases will require cash.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Form of money to bring?

All you need is some euros to get started, then it's easiest to access cash from your debit or credit card. It's important to call your debit/credit card company before you go and let them know when and where you are going or it will look like "suspicious activity" on your cards. I think you would find travellers cheques inconvenient. Many B and B s prefer cash and ATMs are easy to find.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Form of money to bring?

The TC has gone the way of the Dodo. Still accepted in certain areas of India if you need to negotiate them.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,510 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Form of money to bring?

The ONLY travellers cheques acceptable in Ireland are Amex.. These can ONLY be changed at the few Branches of the Permanent TSB.

ATM's with a Debit card are the most common currency exchanges.. You will need to check the fees your bank charges for this as they and not the ATM (in Ireland) will be the ones determining the cost of doing this (Some ATM's in Northern Ireland being UK will charge for their use)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Form of money to bring?

Don't get cash from your credit card unless you're truly desperate for some reason. A debit card should be all you need, maybe an extra one for a back-up. You can always buy some euro in advance but you'll pay a premium for the security of having it on hand when you land.

99% of the time it will be as easy getting cash in Ireland as it is in San Diego.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Form of money to bring?

Definitely debit cards and perhaps some Euros to get you started. As someone else said, let your bank know your travelling plans so that they don't stop your card due to unusual activity. If you bank online you may be able to register your trip that way - that's how I do it.

Don't worry about any small fees you may pay when using your cards abroad - in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really amount to that much, and it's much better than the prospect of losing a large amount of cash. Obviously you wouldn't withdraw very small amounts like 20 Euros at a time or you would pay for each transaction.

Thinking about it, I haven't seen travellers cheques for years - I didn't know they were still sold.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Form of money to bring?

Thank you for all your advice. I kind of figured TC, were out. I do know about calling my bank to warn them we are traveling. I have already had to call them several times because I have paid for things over the internet, and my account was flagged. The second time, I asked them to put a message on my account, stating that I was paying for things in Ireland for an Irish vacation. I will call again just before we leave.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Form of money to bring?

I don't know when you're traveling, but perhaps you can check occasionally with your bank to see what the exchange rate is for Euros. Then you can jump if you see a good rate..

The AAA (as a convenience to members) sells "Tip Packs" at their main offices. They sell them to members at the same rate as they paid for them. I bought an AAA "Tip Pack" just prior to my trip last September: $100 USD for an envelope containing 64 Euro. Since we were landing in Dublin at 5:15 a.m., I wanted to have some cash in my pocket for a cup of coffee and tips, so it was worth it to me.

We used cash a LOT more than we had anticipated on our 10-day trip. Several of our B&B's operated on a cash-only basis and a couple of our B&B's offered significant discounts if the bill was paid in cash. In pubs, we took turns getting rounds, and it was easier to just hand over the cash and be done with it.

I had checked with my bank, and the fee they charge to use an ATM in Ireland was very reasonable. I used an ATM 4 times during our stay. Don't get me wrong, I used my credit card a lot, too -- at larger hotels/guest houses, for entrance fees, some restaurants, some gift shops, occasionally for taxis, gas, and to pay for our rental car.

I was never carrying massive amounts of cash at any given time. Another positive from paying cash as much as we did was that I was actually able to stay on my feet when my credit card bill eventually arrived. ;-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Form of money to bring?

looks like you got your answer about tcs and you know it's easy to use you debit card to get cash....there is no need, IMHO, to pay a high price for euros in advance as there are plenty of atms at the airport and you can get your cash after landing and before leaving the airport.....this is the best exchange rate and you'll be all set to hit the road and soak up the most amazing country on earth.....

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Form of money to bring?

I use my debit card or cash when in Ireland...