We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

We have our flight booked, which is giving us an extra day in Ireland. After 3 nights in Galway, we're driving to Killarney (per suggestion). The original plan was to stay 3 nights, then head to Blarney Castle for a quick stop, then head toward Shannon, so we can be near the airport our last night. While in Killarney we are planning on driving the Dingle peninsula one day, ROK one day and check out Muckross house and Killarney. Then I started reading about the Gap of Dunloe. This sounds like a must see. Can I squeeze all this into 3 days or should I add the fourth night? If I can squeeze this into 3 days, then we have the option of staying in the Cork area for one night, before heading back to Shannon. I'm trying real hard not to rush through everything and tick the boxes. I really want to be able to enjoy the things we do see. And have a little down time (not too much).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

I've decided there's just too much to see in the Killarney area, so we're staying 4 nights. Cork will have to wait for a future trip. :-) Now I'm trying to figure out what B&B to stay at. Most get excellent reviews, so it comes down to how much to spend per night & what part of town do we want to be in (or just outside of). Are there any suggestions of places that serve breakfast before 8:00? That's probably my one sticky point, since we're early risers. Thanks for all the input.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

when in killarney I like to stay somewhere in city centre because you can park the car and just stroll around to soak it up.....for visiting dingle, gap of dunloe, and the ring, i'd leave the car parked and take a deros tour....they stop numerous times for photo ops, a morning and afternoon tea stop, and an hour for lunch.....their tours start at 10:30....in city centre you'll be within walking distance of the horse carts where you can take a tour of the national park (so gorgeous) and muckross house.....the drivers are delightful for sure.......

not sure you'll get many early breakfasts and even if you do very little will be open unless you're going to drive some place that will get you there when they open.....with your plan you'll have plenty of time without starting your day at 8:00...breakfast at a b&b is always a highlight of my trip because you have time to chat with the host/hostess who give great advice on things to/not to see and recommend great eateries....not to mention you feel like you are leaving friends behind and you will be.......

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
410 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

I booked 4 nights at the Sika Lodge B & B. It's a 10 minute walk to city center. I almost just threw a dart at the map to make the choice, since there are so many good B & B's to choose from. They do offer an early breakfast tray if requested. I'm sure we probably won't need it. You're right about chatting with the host/hostess. They are generally a wealth of information.

I think we'll do the day tour for the ROK, just to take a break from driving. We may drive to Dingle, since that's one of the genealogy spots on the trip. That way we can spend more time there if needed.

The flight is booked, car is reserved and castle, b&b's and hotel for the last night have all been reserved. I believe I can now relax.

Thanks again for everyone's valuable input.

14. Re: A fourth night in Killarney or a night in the Cork area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:19