We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Size

Truckee, California
10 posts
Save Topic
Car Size

Is the Opel Insignia or VW Golf a better car for Irish roads?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,111 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Size

Better for what? Sorry, that sounds snarky. But what are you asking specifically? Are you trying to figure out what size car you need for your family? How many people are traveling with you?

Edited: 28 January 2014, 02:15
Truckee, California
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Size

We are deciding on whether to rent a Golf or Insignia. Just trying to figure size wise which one is better for the narrow roads vs having two large suitcases and 2 small bags for two adults.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Size

When you get to the car hire, they may not even have these exact models in their lot.

See what they have available and what will accommodate your luggage. If a vehicle looks too small (to be safe and comfortable), go up a size.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 04:46
Truckee, California
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Size

Thank you!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Size

You won't be needing a 4x4 here Joe, my sister used to live in Truckee its a nice location.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 11:12
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,173 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Size

most cars available will be within an inch or two of each other in width, and you should have no trouble on the roads. but some cars are longer than others, so it all depends on the amount of luggage space you need, as to whether or not you book a booted saloon, or a hatchback. what size car do you drive in ca? I would imagine that you have golfs (rabbit?) over there, and a gm equivalent to the insignia, so you should be able to assess the space requirements fairly easily

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Size

joe, welcome to TA.....when I call the rental company I tell them how many of us there will be and how many pieces of luggage we'll have and ask for their advice on which class of vehicle will accommodate us best....as nakagoli posted, the width of cars are very close no matter the make....and as MAinMO posted you most likely won't get a specific make, in fact most rental sites say "a whatever make, or similar"....

Truckee, California
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Size

Thank you for your help. Yep we drive large 4x4's here as we get a lot of snow. This winter we are in a draught and we could get by with a convertible...it's been warm here at Tahoe. Looking forward to seeing rain in Ireland. Again thanks for the help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,334 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Size

Car hire Fleets Information tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k566528…

My 4x4 went a few years ago as it was only used in anger once during the 7 years we lived up here in the forestry..besides if we ever do get totally gummed down there are some serious bits of kit within borrowing distance. As to the roads and bearing in mind that most local L & R roads are under 15ft down to 8 ft narrow, steep, potholed, flooded and just gravel there is no difficulty getting around in a standard car and my 2nd car is a 6' 6" x 19" van, now that can be a handful around here, The only scratch though came from an eejit cyclist in Dublin, which by coincidence was the same cause of the only lost mirror I have suffered.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,173 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Size

I reckon that if your van is only 6' 6" by 19", there is every possibility that the poor cyclist could not even see you! :D :D