We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Concord, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

I have seen many pictures of the Kerry way, Connemara, and Antrim hiking and have seen beautiful views with a small path on the side of the mountain with either lake or shore views. I cannot however, find these trails!!! I don't know which trail will get me these vies and don't want to spend hours walking trails to find them, I won't be in Ireland but a week. Please help!!! Trying to maximize time there and this is one of the activities we wanted to do was take a 1/2 to whole day hiking trip.

Thanks in advance!!

ashbomb09

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

If you have a car, there is a beautiful walk along the Kerry way beginning at the Torc Waterfall carpark, just outside of Killarney town. I recommend that you do the Torc Mountain walk from this trail. It is well signposted along the trail and up/down in total will take 3 hours on a well worn path to the top of Torc mountain from where there are stunning lake and mountain views on a clear day.

In Connemara I recommend Diamond Hill (begins from Letterfrack village) and once again is a 3 hour up/down hike on a well worn path with stunning mountain, and fjord views from the top.

The beauty of both hikes is that you don't necessarily need a map and compass as the routes are very obvious once you find the start point.

I cannot give you a recommendation for Antrim as I have not hiked there yet however Black Mountain outside of Belfast (County Antrim) is on my to do list. It could be on yours too ;-))

Concord, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Thanks!!! I also looked at Mount Errigal in Donegal. It looks beautiful!! I am simply a tourist that wants to do some non-touristy things. I want to immerse in the culture and meet locals. I'm not a stick to the schedule kind of gal. :)

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
383 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

www.walkingroutes.ie is a useful site to search for walks in all counties.

The suggested walks are posted by actual walkers and are mostly graded for levels of difficulty.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Have a look on Amazon and get hold of "Foot loose in the West of Ireland" some great walks in that old book with a few stories and songs thrown in.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

We found the Lonely Planet Hiking in Ireland a good guide for our hikes in County Clare and County Kerry. We also found some scenic, non-touristy trails here:

discoverireland.ie/campaigns/shannon-walking…

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Check out the Cavan Walking Festival 2 - 11 May 2014

www.cavansportspartnership.ie

www.thisiscavan.ie

Concord, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Thanks for all the input!!!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

You're welcome. Any further ????s

Concord, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

I don't think so.... I think potential hiking spots are Killarney Nat'l Park, possibly Connemara, or there is a walk near that area, just not in the park that has beach as part of walk, Mt Errigal (?spelling) in Donegal, some in Antrim near the rope bridge, etc. So many options, just making a list and will hit as many as possible. We are so excited!!! :)

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking with view...1/2- whole day

Just be warned,if you have a week and your itinerary includes Killarney, Connemara, Donegal and Antrim you wont have time to get out of the hire car. Youy need more time or less places.